• AMTRAK NEC: Springfield Shuttle/Regional/Valley Flyer/Inland Routing

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by lordsigma12345

This upcoming week is the final week of the present Amtrak schedule on the Springfield line and the last week that the Vermonter will stop in Wallingford and Berlin. The first NHHS program changes begin Saturday the 9th. Right around the corner now.
  by asull85

Track speeds will officially be changed by Saturday morning. MAS in a couple locations will be 100mph or greater.
  by STrRedWolf

ryanov wrote:It’s not true that most of the NEC is sub-100, is it?
It may be that on average the NEC is sub-100 (and I live near the likely reason why that average is down). But I'd think it's mostly super-100 between DC and NYC.
  by lordsigma12345

And so it begins. Saw the northbound CTrail this morning (test 6400) at Longmeadow, MA running with the new CTrail stock. Also first "new" Amtrak train ran this morning "461" (although I believe it makes the same connection as former 401.) Will be hearing a lot of horns on Monday.
  by andrewjw

The average would depend on how you take it - if you took the average speed of a train across time, that would be substantially lower than the average speed across space (since trains spend more time in the miles with lower speed limits). In the former measure, the low maximum speed in Connecticut (and the short and very slow portions near NYC and Baltimore) would have a much greater impact.
  by lordsigma12345

I don't get Amtrak's deal with trains 451 and 412 during the week? Why would they not sell a direct connection to the Acela trains that the hartford line is advertising that they connect to (and that it seems they have been timed to meet.)
  by ryanov

I wasn’t speaking average speed, but it is kind of a complicated question. For example, even in NJ where NJTransit can run at 100, the whole thing isn’t 100. But really, it’s only the Metro-North section that’s max 90 for the whole length, right?
  by Kilgore Trout

lordsigma12345 wrote:I don't get Amtrak's deal with trains 451 and 412 during the week? Why would they not sell a direct connection to the Acela trains that the hartford line is advertising that they connect to (and that it seems they have been timed to meet.)
My long-standing suspicion has been that the lack of ticketed Acela connections is due to the lack of business class on the shuttles. Amtrak may not want to give an Acela passenger a downgrade in service level from their premium service. At least that was my perception when I used to frequently ride to Hartford ~8 years ago.
ryanov wrote:I wasn’t speaking average speed, but it is kind of a complicated question. For example, even in NJ where NJTransit can run at 100, the whole thing isn’t 100. But really, it’s only the Metro-North section that’s max 90 for the whole length, right?
90mph is only for a few miles near Mamaroneck...most of the line is under 70 due to the number of curves. I believe two tracks are still out in the vicinity of Stratford for catenary replacement as well, so capacity is limited anyway regardless of maximum speed.
  by adamj023

Finally the construction is over on this route. For a long time we saw work being done and cancelled trains. Now Amtrak increased capacity and the Hartford Line will be activated. This is good news all around. This area has been a growth corridor for awhile and is home to a lot of huge companies and universities.

It makes traveling much quicker and with more frequent service. As airplane fuel costs are increasing and as security is horrible with the TSA at airports, train in this corridor will definitely be used more. A much needed boost all around and very beneficial for the economy in this area.
  by lordsigma12345

Kilgore Trout wrote: My long-standing suspicion has been that the lack of ticketed Acela connections is due to the lack of business class on the shuttles. Amtrak may not want to give an Acela passenger a downgrade in service level from their premium service. At least that was my perception when I used to frequently ride to Hartford ~8 years ago.
You can get a custom ticketed connection from an Acela to a Shuttle through a station agent. However because they don't have 451 and 412 as official connections in the computer system then the normal Amtrak one hour connection rule applies. This means that 451/2151 (which would be a perfect connection, 20 minute or so layover in NHV) can't be sold. So for example in the case of 451 you can book a custom connection through an agent to a LATER Acela but not 2151. Sure you can get around this by not booking your Shuttle with your Acela ticket and buying a seperate ticket for 451 (or a CTrail ticket and ride 451 with that) but if 451 is late and you miss 2151 they most likely wont accomodate you. An agent was able to book me a northbound trip on 2172/478 but not 2172/412 (412 has far less layover and the one CTDOT is advertising.) Coming north its less of an issue because starting June 16 NHV-SPG becomes totally flat with no buckets matching CTrail and rumor has it both Amtrak and CTRail tickets will be totally transferrable between trains as long as its the same day. So on my travel day if my 2172 gets to NHV on time I should be able to board 412 penalty free with my 478 ticket (or at the worst have to call Amtrak 1-800 and change to 412 for free.) Bigger issue is going south, IE train 451. The layover is probably long enough where 90% of the time you'd be fine, but still a risk.