• Amtrak Vermonter / Montrealer

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by BigLou80

All I really want to know is why can't they wash the Vermonter. It's so dirty, its like the take the dirtiest engines and cars and use them to make up the train ,
  by gprimr1

BigLou80 wrote:All I really want to know is why can't they wash the Vermonter. It's so dirty, its like the take the dirtiest engines and cars and use them to make up the train ,
This is probably a leading complaint of all Amtrak trains.
  by jp1822

Has there been any work done or planned to date on the Connecticut River Line in Massachusetts?
  by CSX Conductor

BigLou80 wrote:All I really want to know is why can't they wash the Vermonter. It's so dirty, its like the take the dirtiest engines and cars and use them to make up the train ,
There is no wash in Nhv, which explains the diesels. I'm not sure about the wash in DC for the coaches.

As for the bustitutions, CSX track work notice was posted in the crew room today. Tie replacement is scheduled between Chester & Brookfield,Ma. Resulting in no Vermonter or Boston section of the Lake Shore.
  by BuddSilverliner269

The past few weeks, I have noticed the Vermonter running with 6 cars now. I believe the cafe car is now a full cafe car and not half cafe-half business although dont qoute me on this one. As CSXconductor mentioned, New Haven doesnt have a wash facility. In NY, Sunnyside Yard has one as well as DC, and this is why trains look pretty decent on the NEC. The diesels out of DC dont appear to grungy. The worst offenders I have seen in Ivy City are engines banged up or paints peeling...
  by eagle628

BuddSilverliner269 wrote:The past few weeks, I have noticed the Vermonter running with 6 cars now. I believe the cafe car is now a full cafe car and not half cafe-half business although dont qoute me on this one.
Diud you see it running with six cars north of the NEC? Might the extra car get added at New Haven for corridor traffic? The last time I took the Vermonter (which admittedly was quite some time ago) two cars (I believe) were added at New Haven for that purpose, since the train was virtually standing room only by then.
  by Train2009

BuddSilverliner269 wrote:The past few weeks, I have noticed the Vermonter running with 6 cars now. I believe the cafe car is now a full cafe car and not half cafe-half business although dont qoute me on this one. As CSXconductor mentioned, New Haven doesnt have a wash facility. In NY, Sunnyside Yard has one as well as DC, and this is why trains look pretty decent on the NEC. The diesels out of DC dont appear to grungy. The worst offenders I have seen in Ivy City are engines banged up or paints peeling...
Here is a video of the six car train going by Port Chester from Saturday
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgX17obdN8E
  by CSX Conductor

You wanna see a disgusting, filthy set, go see 66/67. They don't touch a wash at all since the car wash in Boston is still being re-habbed. Hopefully by the first week of June it will be completed.
  by shadyjay

JR4815D2 wrote:Question about Ethan Allen Express to NY Penn Station. Currently, near Lake George and notice today Train No. 296 is listed as No. 8296 coming from Rutland, VT. Is there a reason for being listed as 8296? Also vise versa. Train No. 291 is listed as No. 8291. No. 291 goes to Albany, then it changes to No. 8291.
8000-series numbers usually denote a bustitution. I think I read something about Vermont Rail doing trackwork on their portion of the Ethan Allen between Whitehall and Rutland, hence the 8000-series number north of Albany, meeting with the regularly-scheduled train at Albany.
  by BigLou80

BuddSilverliner269 wrote:The past few weeks, I have noticed the Vermonter running with 6 cars now. I believe the cafe car is now a full cafe car and not half cafe-half business although dont qoute me on this one. As CSXconductor mentioned, New Haven doesnt have a wash facility. In NY, Sunnyside Yard has one as well as DC, and this is why trains look pretty decent on the NEC. The diesels out of DC dont appear to grungy. The worst offenders I have seen in Ivy City are engines banged up or paints peeling...
The must add the cars somewhere south of Vermont as I have never seen a 6 car set go by here, I have seen a FEC engine as the lead however.

Both the coaches and the engines are usually filthy although today's south bound vermonter looked pretty decent, I wonder if it got washed in St Albans.
  by railaw

For the last several weeks during the engine change in NHV, the electric will take off a coach as well (NB). I assume, but haven't noticed, the reverse happening SB. On occasion I've seen two coming off.
  by eagle628

shadyjay wrote:
JR4815D2 wrote:Question about Ethan Allen Express to NY Penn Station. Currently, near Lake George and notice today Train No. 296 is listed as No. 8296 coming from Rutland, VT. Is there a reason for being listed as 8296? Also vise versa. Train No. 291 is listed as No. 8291. No. 291 goes to Albany, then it changes to No. 8291.
8000-series numbers usually denote a bustitution. I think I read something about Vermont Rail doing trackwork on their portion of the Ethan Allen between Whitehall and Rutland, hence the 8000-series number north of Albany, meeting with the regularly-scheduled train at Albany.
The worst host railroad in the nation is actually doing something about it? *waits for the skies to part and the angels to sing*
  by theozno

I'll have to check if its 5 or 6 cars in Old Greenwich when I get back. I drove up this time around because of the bike issue. I hope it is a full cafe car. when I was on it a couple months ago, it was still 5 cars but there are about 100-150 riders on it in southern Vt as a guess more than 1/2 full and once past Hartford its usually almost at capacity and I bet with the "fare bucket" in place is the only reason it is not selling out.
  by theozno

There is major flash flooding up in VT. I am wondering if the train will run south in this morning at this time.
  by jp1822

I have been on the Vermonter southbound a few times during what I guess one would all "peak period" riding and have seen Amtrak add a coach into the consist. For the southbound trip, that means the order of the train is electric engine - coach - business cass/cafe - coach - coach etc. It sort of displaces the positioning of the regular business class/cafe car. I've always taken this train and enjoyed the comforts of the 1/2 business class (2-1 seating) and 1/2 cafe section. However, according to previous posters on this thread, looks like the business class section is now replaced with a full business class car. Very much preferred the former business class (quieter, more intimate, less people etc.).

If Amtrak is displacing these 1/2 business class (2-1 seating) and 1/2 cafe section Amfleet cars, where are they going? Out of all of Amtrak's Amfleet cars, these cars, to me, are the best that Amtrak has to offer. Rumor was at what time that these cars were going to be more like "premium class cars" - offering similiar amenities as to what one found in an AmClub car.