Railroad Forums 

• Lake Shore Electric Museum Folding - Equipment Sold

• General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.
General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.

Moderators: rob216, Miketherailfan

#745827  by octr202

STM's two Cleveland cars have arrived - the trailer was in the shops when I was up on Saturday, but I was able to get one quick photo of the rapid car before my camera battery died and I was off to work Xmas Prelude operations...
 #750711  by polybalt

The three CA&E wooden interurbans were moved as a train recently under their own power over the CTS Rapid Transit line to Brook Park for shipping. Cars 36 and 319 are going to IRM and 303 to CTM. Pictures from IRM's work partly this weekend to prepare the cars for trucking have been posted on the IRM website at:
http://www.irm.org/gallery/album208
 #752554  by Tim Lesniak

A crew from the Connecticut Trolley Museum is heading out to Cleveland bright and early Monday morning to remove the fixtures on the roof and underneath car 303 in preparation for transport.

--

Tim Lesniak
Corp Secretary
CT Trolley Museum
 #753240  by Tim Lesniak

The crew from Connecticut just arrived home this afternoon from our trip out to Cleveland to remove parts from CA&E 303. It was great that we were able to do it inside the Brookpark shops as it was snowing the entire time we were out there. Special thanks to Tim O'Donnell of RTA and Steve Heister of NORM for their assistance in preparing 303 to be shipped. The motors were disconnected and the brake rigging, steps, and poles were removed from the car. Everything inside the car was wrapped in blankets and secured to prevent damage to the parts or the car itself in transit. Upon arrival to Warehouse Point, the car will be reassembled. The car will need a new canvas roof as the one that is currently on the car appears to have been "repaired" with roofing tar many times. The windows and window sills will be repainted. The car is missing a light globe in the smoking compartment. It is hoped that we will be able to find one to replace it with.

We were able to get quite a few good pictures of the car in Brookpark shops as well as a few pictures of IRM wooden interurbans leaving Brookpark. We passed the two cars while riding the rental car shuttle to get our rental car.

This was hopefully our last trip to Cleveland as part of these acquisitions. The next time that we see 303 should be when the car is arriving in Warehouse Point.

Tim Lesniak
Corp. Secretary
CT Trolley Museum
 #755373  by Otto Vondrak

Cleveland line car has been delivered to New York Museum of Transportation in December. That's going to come in very handy to maintain and expand our electrified trackage in the coming years...
 #761444  by Tim Lesniak

The CA&E Interurban 303 is scheduled to arrive in Connecticut (Warehouse Point) on February 4th!

--
Tim Lesniak
Corporate Secretary
CT Trolley Museum
 #761708  by farecard

I saw three cars headed south on I-71 on Tuesday morning, I think. (Maybe Monday.)

When I went to Hopkins on the Red Line Tuesday, there were two more visible in the yard; one was a CA & E.

As for octr202's photo, I assume that's one of the first generation cars; I rode {and froze in} them often when far younger. We were excited when the silver "Airporters" showed up, with HEAT!

RTA Triva: (I'm sure the statue of limitations on this has expired, even if I knew the guy's name...)

A friend was a Case Tech student at the time of opening day in 1955. He reported that a fellow student made a wooden block tripper in an attempt to shut down the inaugural run with the mayor etc. on board. Alas, it was pine and just split into pieces when the car hit it. A humble lesson in Material Science....
 #765700  by Tim Lesniak

CA&E 453 has been moved to Brookpark. That should be shipped to Scranton and CA&E 303 should be shipped to Warehouse Point in the next couple of weeks!

--
Tim Lesniak
Corp Secretary
CT Trolley Museum
 #768011  by Tim Lesniak

Car 303 is scheduled to be shipped this coming week. The car will be loaded on Tuesday and is scheduled to arrive and be unloaded on Thursday!
 #768775  by Tim Lesniak

Due to the impending weather, Chicago Aurora & Elgin 303 which was scheduled to be shipped to Connecticut Trolley Museum (Warehouse Point) has been delayed. We have received word from Silk Road that due to the weather, the car shipment will be delayed until next week.

Tim Lesniak
Corp Secretary
CT Trolley Museum