• Viewliner II Delivery/Production

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by David Benton

R36 Combine Coach wrote:
ApproachMedium wrote:First casualty of LDSL bag happened on the 1st. CSX paved a new crossing in FL and it was too high, engines tore the crossing up and destroyed the first 4 cars on train 98 tuesday. An amfleet 2 stood in for the baggage car.
Believe it or not, this situation actually occurred in a Thomas episode.
I always feel uneasy when the train goes over lenghts of rail left in the middle of the track. Even though logic tells me they are so heavy there is no way they would ever jump up and hit the train.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Backshophoss wrote:Hopefully CSX will pay for the repairs,since they screwed up the crossing.....
Don't think so.

Unless the "no fault" concept of the 1973 Amended Agreements has changed over the years, each party Amtrak and CSX are responsible for repairs to their own property. This agreement was to avoid litigation arising from CSX saying "Amtrak, you chopped up our X-ing, or Amtrak "CSX, your negligence chopped up our train".

The underlying agreement also applied to personal injury as well, but I think there have been enough cases over the years where injured parties have been awarded damages from others that any such provisions are "moot".
  by ACeInTheHole

wonder what kind of sound that made when the rubber lining went through the cars...
  by leviramsey

Gilbert B Norman wrote: The underlying agreement also applied to personal injury as well, but I think there have been enough cases over the years where injured parties have been awarded damages from others that any such provisions are "moot".
IANAL, but the provisions probably still prevent Amtrak from suing a host railroad for damages they paid out in a personal injury case. They wouldn't prevent the injured party (who was not, nor were their predecessors and assignors, party to the Amended Agreements) from suing a host railroad.
  by Gilbert B Norman

leviramsey wrote:IANAL,
NDIPOONTV :P :P
leviramsey wrote:but the provisions probably still prevent Amtrak from suing a host railroad for damages they paid out in a personal injury case. They wouldn't prevent the injured party (who was not, nor were their predecessors and assignors, party to the Amended Agreements) from suing a host railroad.
Mr. Ramsey, it has been pushing 40 years, and another career later, since I worked with this stuff for a living, and if I were still in the industry or recently retired, I would feel bound by privity from discussing such here, but it would appear that the provisions with respect to personal injuries have been nullified. Too many of those folk in every state who vie to get that vehicle license plate "LITIGTR", or some variant thereof, have surely found ways around those provisions so they "can get their third". While such settlement matters are always confidential, I'm willing to bet that with Bayou Canot, any written provisions in the Agreement between Amtrak and CSX were obviated.
  by ACeInTheHole

Jeff Smith wrote:I saw 98 was three hours or so late yesterday; I was wondering the cause.
Wrong 98. The 98 in question here was on the order of about 12 hours late.
  by Jeff Smith

I wasn't sure if it was the same day or not; I thought 3 hours was a bit meager for such an event.
  by ApproachMedium

It was only 9 hours late not 12. Its supposed to arrive in DC at 7 am it arrived at 5pm.
  by Greg Moore

All interesting, but that's not so much about delivery and production!

By my count we're day 11 I think into the next countdown?
  by Woody

Greg Moore wrote: . . .
I've been counting down to the Ides of March, which Wikipedia reports, ". . . was also the occasion of the Feast of . . . a goddess of the year whose festival originally concluded the ceremonies of the new year. The day was enthusiastically celebrated among the common people with picnics, drinking, and revelry."

Not sure I'll go picnicking, depending on the weather. But I'm ready for good old-fashioned revelry when we see them coming around the mountain, when they come.
  by wintower

Gilbert B Norman wrote:
leviramsey wrote:IANAL,
NDIPOONTV :P :P

Mr. Norman, you crack me up, you really do! I am sitting here at home, tired at the end of what was a busy week at work and I am smiling and laughing to myself like a child. Thank You...
  by ApproachMedium

I reported the info here because one of the new cars was involved, and there is no ongoing thread for the old cars. The lack of two sleepers just presses more in to the fleet where we could be using new cars, if they had only been delievered on time!
  by Jeff Smith

I'll leave it to the mods if they want a separate "status" thread but for now I don't see a problem putting it here until they're all out and about, and then maybe we can set up a usage/unusual status thread. I.e. they're somewhere they're normally not.

Same thing for ACS-64; they're still being delivered, but a sighting "they're on a Regional in New Haven" isn't exactly news. Unless it's the veteran's unit 642 that's SOOPER RARE! :wink:
  by ThirdRail7

ApproachMedium wrote:First casualty of LDSL bag happened on the 1st. CSX paved a new crossing in FL and it was too high, engines tore the crossing up and destroyed the first 4 cars on train 98 tuesday. An amfleet 2 stood in for the baggage car, and i think todays arrival of 98 also had one on the head end too.

There was an amfleet 2 coach behind the engines, an LDSL bag, and two viewliners.
I'm not sure this is entirely accurate. The bag that was involved with the 629 in Kingston is still out of commission. We'll have to see how this works itself out.
Greg Moore wrote:All interesting, but that's not so much about delivery and production!

An appearance shall be made if all goes according to plan.

Jeff Smith wrote:I'll leave it to the mods if they want a separate "status" thread but for now I don't see a problem putting it here until they're all out and about, and then maybe we can set up a usage/unusual status thread. I.e. they're somewhere they're normally not.

Same thing for ACS-64; they're still being delivered, but a sighting "they're on a Regional in New Haven" isn't exactly news. Unless it's the veteran's unit 642 that's SOOPER RARE! :wink:

This may be a good idea. Perhaps there should be a thread for each new car that comes out.