Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by Chicagopcclcars

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6eE7UGCKmk

OK...here it is, the ten minute edit of Monday's opneing day happenings. The train was scheduled to run seven round trips on the Red Line, the city's busiest "L" line. It uses the run number of the operator assigned to leave at the scheduled leave time. A supervisior/instructor is in the cab with the operator. Several technicians are onboard to trouble shoot and document. My camera mic must be supersensitive to the audio frequency of the whine....in person it did not seem that outstanding. Notice you don't hear the whine above the expressway median sounds...course the Ryan median is LOUD. Other sounds to watch for..."beeeeeep" cab signal usually indicating a lowered speed permissable; "hoooot" our version of a train horn; "bang, bang" the loose cab door lock. Thing accelerates and brakes like a beast, very little noise and vibration from outside. Now I need to get more trackside video, especially next to the steel structure.

David
  by Fan Railer

now that's pretty neat. they did a good job with the sound insulation and the propulsion. now it's just differentiating between siemens or bombardier...the good acceleration sample is at 7:30 in the video. :wink:
  by byte

I'm someone who likes to work on 1-50s and 4000s on my weekends. But these cars are just plain cool, especially the AC traction whine. Not quite the gear noise on a 4000 but still pretty awesome.
  by Chicagopcclcars

Fan Railer wrote:now that's pretty neat. they did a good job with the sound insulation and the propulsion. now it's just differentiating between siemens or bombardier...the good acceleration sample is at 7:30 in the video. :wink:
Bombardier.

David
  by ExCon90

Great footage--thanks for posting. Out of curiosity (I haven't been in Chicago for awhile), why are some platform edges blue? I thought yellow was required.
  by JamesT4

That was a great video, but I still don't like how CTA changed the seating arrangements from the current cars.

I am going to come down to get some photos of the new cars next week.
  by Tadman

Nice capture, you must have spent the better part of a day taking that film.
  by tommyboy6181

The railfan site http://www.ttmg.org/mediawiki/index.php ... _Authority is also listing the propulsion as the Bombardier MITRAC system. It sounds different than usual and more like a Siemens. It looks like it performs very well. I can also say BBD did a really nice job on sound insulation in the cars.

The door chime- the new one as the doors close is the same used for the Shenzhen Metro where BBD built a large amount of their cars.

Here's another video of the new 5000 series cars: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-pqciEr8hM
  by Tadman

I saw 'em yesterday around 4p at Fullerton. Love that sound.
  by steve4031

Do these cars operate at certain times? I would like to ride them. I live near the red line. Thx.