Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

by 2spot

Is there any truth to VIA wanting to rid themselves of Budd cars and the runs they're on? Namely the E&N on Vancouver Island and the Sudbury to White River route in Ontario.

by Ken V

I have seen some things talking about VIA getting away from these two services but nothing substantial or credible.

There had been a few occasions, many years ago, where VIA attempted to drop the Vancouver Island service but could not due to constitutional opinions rendered by B.C. courts. These have since been overturned but VIA has not made another attempt. While the train doesn't serve any truly remote areas, it does provide a needed service for some. In my humble opinion, if VIA did drop the Malahat now it would only be in favour of another operator (not RMR) taking over.

The Sudbury-White River train is a different story. There are many places along this route who rely on in, not only for transportation, but to regularly bring in supplies to remote areas where roads are poor or non-existant. This service has been around for as long as I can remember and also ran when other CPR passenger trains like the Canadian and the Dominion ran on the same line. I don't see this going away at all.

by 2spot

Thanks, Ken V. On this end I've heard that VIA wants another operator to take over the service when the current contract expires on the E&N. I kind of gathered that they couldnt get rid of the Sudbury to White River service for the reasons youve listed. What is to become of the RDCs? The E&N has had 50 years of continous Budd Rail Car service.....