Railroad Forums 

• Vermont Rail System (VTR, GMRC, WACR, CLP, NYOG)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1310365  by Dick H

Being reported on the VRS Yahoo Group that the MP-15s are being leased.
Also reported, they will be used as switchers at Rutland, Bellows Falls and
Burlington.
 #1329450  by Dick H

The WACR has begun moving granite from the Graniteville quarry to the NECR
interchange at Montpelier Jct. The leased Natchez Railway loco #2601 has been
assigned to the WACR for the work. See the VRS Facebook page for a photo.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vermont- ... 7165453483" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1338241  by joshuahouse

The comments would suggest that they're now down on the Lancaster and Chester in South Carolina. There are certainly other photos on railroad archives that also list a pair of engines down there as being from VRS.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/locoPi ... px?id=5728" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1342391  by theseaandalifesaver

I guess this is more about Burlington in general but does the Vermont railway ever run freights north of their Burlington rail yard? The tracks next to Burlington Union Station seemed like they don't see many trains at all.

Also, is any of the line signaled? I walked around the bike path that follows the ROW and didn't see a single signal on the line.

How often to freights go through the yard?

Sorry if a similar thread exists. I googled but couldn't find another one.
 #1342506  by Cosmo

IIRC (from living there about 20+ yrs ago) VRS only owns up to the north end of their own yard, after that it's all former CN/GT/whomever-owns-it-now.
 #1342508  by YamaOfParadise

Cosmo wrote:IIRC (from living there about 20+ yrs ago) VRS only owns up to the north end of their own yard, after that it's all former CN/GT/whomever-owns-it-now.
Owned by New England Central Railroad, which is in turn owned by Genesee & Wyoming.
 #1342514  by Cosmo

YamaOfParadise wrote:
Cosmo wrote:IIRC (from living there about 20+ yrs ago) VRS only owns up to the north end of their own yard, after that it's all former CN/GT/whomever-owns-it-now.
Owned by New England Central Railroad, which is in turn owned by Genesee & Wyoming.
Ok, right, that jives. I wasn't sure if that part of former CN/GT-whatever was included in part or en toto in whichever deal etc...
Thanks!
 #1342563  by rovetherr

theseaandalifesaver wrote:I guess this is more about Burlington in general but does the Vermont railway ever run freights north of their Burlington rail yard? The tracks next to Burlington Union Station seemed like they don't see many trains at all.
The VRS property stops at the College Street Crossing. Every once in a great while (two times a year maybe) the yard job will go north to the Beach Track to shuffle storage cars, its about half a mile north of College St, along the bike path, before the tunnel.
Also, is any of the line signaled? I walked around the bike path that follows the ROW and didn't see a single signal on the line.
No.
 #1342937  by MEC407

VRS will once again be giving a pair of big EMD SDs a try. In the past they've dabbled with SD60s, SD70Ms, and SD90MACs; this time it'll be two former Florida East Coast SD70M-2s, numbers 101 and 103. (100 and 102 are going to Providence & Worcester; see the P&W forum for more info on that.)

The units are still in Florida but should be on their way to Vermont soon.

Many thanks to Mr. Gary Young for the information about the two units destined for VRS.
 #1342954  by Noel Weaver

MEC407 wrote:VRS will once again be giving a pair of big EMD SDs a try. In the past they've dabbled with SD60s, SD70Ms, and SD90MACs; this time it'll be two former Florida East Coast SD70M-2s, numbers 101 and 103. (100 and 102 are going to Providence & Worcester; see the P&W forum for more info on that.)

The units are still in Florida but should be on their way to Vermont soon.

Many thanks to Mr. Gary Young for the information about the two units destined for VRS.
All four SD-70's have departed New Smyrna Beach shop and are off the FEC by now and probably out of Florida as well.
They were well cared for on the FEC even after they stopped using them late last year.
Noel Weaver
 #1342960  by MEC407

Thank you for the update, Mr. Weaver.
 #1344548  by MEC407

The SD70M-2s are reportedly at Selkirk as of noon today, according to a post by Mr. Gary Young on GuilfordRailSightings.