• Valley Stream LIRR Station To Be Replaced

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by railtrailbiker

The Long Island Rail Road's Valley Stream train station is being replaced.

Artist renderings of the new ticket office show it will include public rest rooms, a passenger information display system and a new public address system. Outside will see renovations to the upper-level platform, elevator and escalator.
http://1010wins.com/topstories/local_st ... 14710.html

by Long Island 7285

The hell there runeing valley though it needs to be rebuilt, im for a full blown restoration but i want to retain the keystones that have been removed along time ago

valley deserves it just as much as cederhurst whom is not bitching about the horns :wink: rebuilt to be new and modern but give it a old feel

by LIRRNOVA55

boooo. . just obiviate and. . im sure they still have the blueprints from ronkonkoma. .
  by Sir Ray

railtrailbiker wrote:
Outside will see renovations to the upper-level platform, elevator and escalator.
Whaaatt????
The dang escalator was rebuilt only last year (and caused plenty of irration to go around while it was blocked off).
The elevator is also fairly new, and the platform was redone only a few years ago. The ticket office seems in fairly good shape too, albiet I do not know exactly how good the foundation and internals (like plumbing) are.
But still, all around the station is in fairly good shape as stations go - what the hell are they renovating it for?

(Dang, this is when we need a confused emoticon, a mad emoticon, a dubious emoticon, and an insane emoticon)

by 4 Express

I'm not trying to be an antagonist, but why can't the LIRR renovate the stations that really need them?

by Long Island 7285

4 express, i totaly agree. how ever though valley appears to be in good shape it does need renovation work. i say is should be refaced like merric and some of the babylon branch stations and then be given a pair of brand new keystones. the platforn can alos use a refurbishing also. i don't think that the structure it's self needs to be knocked down and built from foundation up. the station building i beleive is tied directly into the support of the structure. reface/rerenovate and make it all new inside add the station name with keystones and then valley will look better then it ever had.

by M1 9147

Why take down a station that looks in sort of good shape? Ok rehab can be done, but how do you do such a thing like replacing the building entirely, it just makes no sense. Ok I know that Hicksville had been replaced a year ago, but it just does not make sense.

by bluebelly

4 Express wrote:I'm not trying to be an antagonist, but why can't the LIRR renovate the stations that really need them?
So they can burn through the budget surplus as quickly as possible?

by Dave Keller

Being in Florida and primarily "out of the loop" please elaborate on Hicksville station being replaced last year.

I never heard anything about it.

Was it simply a renovation or a new structure altogether?

I'd like to keep my "LIRR Station History" listing on my website updated.

Thanks in advance to whoever can give me the update, complete with dates, etc.

Dave Keller

P.S. If any other stations have been replaced, please let me know as well. I am aware that Port Jeff, Glen Cove, Glen St. and St. James were renovated as well as, I believe, Seacliff (?). Long Beach is ancient history. Anything else? :P DK

by Long Island 7285

Dave,

This is probly going to be a facelift and renovation to clean up and modernize the station, i highly doupt that the entire building is comeing down and being rebuilt from the ground up. most likely the entire inside will be gutted and re built and the exterior might be bricked as some mother montauk branch stations were. when the work starts im going to get down there and see what i can salvage and what photoes i can get. i would like to try getting shots inside the ticket booth as well as inside the station. useing the fack that the structure is going to be restored might be a good excuse to alow the photography. who knows it's a chance im going to take. i did see a relitively old ticket machine in there that i would love to get my hands on so when hammers swing im going to try to get there to salvage what i can if i can.

well maby you guys here can help with requests to re instate the LIRR keystone on the new station. Bellmore(restored w/ keystone) Cederhurst(restored w/ keystone) Islip- (origional keystone) if the LIRR Gets enough letters and a request from the village the keystone will be returned. so please help in that process. i like how the stations on the babylon line came out. if thats whats happening at valley then the keystone will fit. its difinatly time to see the place restored/renovated. and a facelift is difinatly needed.
bricks, w/ gold color letters and keystones will look great. also difinatly add the brid spikes as my car looks like it lost a war with a birds ass after comeing out from under the EL. :wink:
  by de402

has to be woodside. absolutle crap, paints peeling, benches are rusted already... what's it only been 5 years? oh and those busted concrete ties through there too?

by M1 9147

Joe, that's what I meant to say, thanks man!

by 4 Express

bluebelly wrote:
4 Express wrote:I'm not trying to be an antagonist, but why can't the LIRR renovate the stations that really need them?
So they can burn through the budget surplus as quickly as possible?
It's already burning the surplus replacing a station which to me looks better than others. Ride the Far Rockaway line on a weekend from Flatbush Avenue & compare ENY to Valley Stream.