• Vaccine mandate for Amtrak employees

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by BitterOldRRExec

STrRedWolf wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:20 am Colin was battling cancer at the same time as COVID-19, and it was reported he was immunocompromized (immune system not working to military spec) because of the cancer.
I am well aware. That was my point. People should get vaccinated because it helps reduce the spread to high-risk people who might have a valid reason for not getting vaccinated (i.e., the immunocompromised), and you might not always know who those people are. After all, Mr. Powell got it from someone. This is one reason people might not want to be in a small enclosed area (i.e., an airplane cockpit) with someone who is unvaxxed.
These were told to be 85% to 95% effective last year and is in FDA/CDC documentation. You have to admit, those are darn good odds... and if you get it, it keeps you from dying in an ideal situation.
Again, I am well aware. This is another reason people might not want to be in a cockpit with someone who is unvaxxed - even if they themselves are vaxxed, it is not 100%.

I think you completely misinterpreted what I was saying.
  by NaugyRR

I believe Wolf was backing you up towards eolesen, the forum quotes just took it out of context. I had to re-read it a few times myself.
  by Railjunkie

If everything Ive read at work is true come Nov 23rd all this talk of unvaxed working with vaxed isn't going to matter. NO JABS NO WORK. Ive heard some numbers and if those are true. Lets all get ready for the possibility of tri weekly long hauls and some regional service going bye bye.
  by WashingtonPark

BitterOldRRExec wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:39 am After all, Mr. Powell got it from someone. This is one reason people might not want to be in a small enclosed area (i.e., an airplane cockpit) with someone who is unvaxxed.
I don't think Colin, or anybody else in a similar condition, was planning on being in an air plane cockpit. If I ride AMTRAK I'm masked, I'm vaccinated. I don't care if anybody else is. This is what's known as taking responsibility for yourself and not expecting everybody else to meet your demands, unless you choose to be employed in an area where you are consistently dealing with severely immune compromised. Severely immune compromised on the verge of death shouldn't be operating trains or airplanes.
  by Red Wing

Railjunkie wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:37 am If everything Ive read at work is true come Nov 23rd all this talk of unvaxed working with vaxed isn't going to matter. NO JABS NO WORK. Ive heard some numbers and if those are true. Lets all get ready for the possibility of tri weekly long hauls and some regional service going bye bye.
They were saying pretty much the same thing with Massachusetts State Employees when their deadline it. Well the deadline has arrived and less than 1% were not vaccinated . I bet it will be the same with Amtrak.
  by Ken W2KB

Probably, vaccination is now essentially a condition of employment, such as periodic drug tests, etc.
  by CSRR573

Amtrak just moved the goal post down further, now they're saying you need the first shot by December 8th and the deadline is now January 2022
  by Railjunkie

CSRR573 wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:58 am Amtrak just moved the goal post down further, now they're saying you need the first shot by December 8th and the deadline is now January 2022

Interesting, guess some of those number I was hearing were correct. Coming off my relief days, I will look for that bulletin when I get in today.
  by CSRR573

Railjunkie wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:04 am
CSRR573 wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:58 am Amtrak just moved the goal post down further, now they're saying you need the first shot by December 8th and the deadline is now January 2022

Interesting, guess some of those number I was hearing were correct. Coming off my relief days, I will look for that bulletin when I get in today.
I just got the email about an hour ago. Basically it says as long as you get the 1st shot before or the single shot by November 24th your good for the 8th deadline. Then if you haven't got the second shot by January 10th your gone. But it seems like if you havent gotten anything by the Dec 8th your fired
  by rcthompson04

The extensions almost seem like designed to deal with not wanting to deal with this issue over a holiday weekend.
  by STrRedWolf

Railjunkie wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:50 pm https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us-pas ... 021-12-14/
Hope the link works
The mandate's suspended. Choice quote:
Amtrak cited a U.S. district court decision that halted the enforcement of President Joe Biden's executive order mandating vaccines for federal contractors by January.
  by Pensyfan19

Apparently dropping the mandate averts route suspensions...
  by eolesen

It's also the right thing to do in light of the various court rulings which have mostly gone against the mandates. Reinstating employees wrongfully terminated gets expensive.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk