• Utica Branch Discussion Thread

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

by fredrick

RussNelson wrote:
fredrick wrote:lets stop talking about it..
Railfans .... stop talking about trains .... you have GOT to be joking, right?
what i met to post now Chenango county ida have the money to fix this rail line.now for them to stop talking about it. just fix it.im sorry to the railfans for miss understanding.
  by charlie6017

milkman wrote:More good news for the Utica line!
http://www.evesun.com/news/stories/2013 ... s-forward/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks.......since one has to be a subscriber to see more than 38% of the story, does it give any further specifics as to
a more detailed time-frame other than freight runs beginning in 2014?

Charlie
  by milkman

charlie6017 wrote:
milkman wrote:More good news for the Utica line!
http://www.evesun.com/news/stories/2013 ... s-forward/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks.......since one has to be a subscriber to see more than 38% of the story, does it give any further specifics as to
a more detailed time-frame other than freight runs beginning in 2014?

Charlie
No specifics or details when restoration would start other than they want it completed by 2014.
  by charlie6017

Thanks very much! ;-)
  by trainman4988

Hello, nice to see there are many individuals that support the rebuilding of the Utica Branch. As a teenager I spent many a day enjoying the Utica Line when I was in Binghamton and it has always held a place in my heart. It was good to find this thread and I will keep my eye on it from now on.
  by K4Pacific

NYS&W needs a customer somewhere for the rebuild to take place. Who's first?
  by JoeCollege

K4Pacific wrote:NYS&W needs a customer somewhere for the rebuild to take place. Who's first?
Don't look at me. You know I've done my part. ;-)
  by lvrr325

Some flooding in Sherburne and in Chenango County today, any word of damage (further damage?) to this line?
  by milkman

lvrr325 wrote:Some flooding in Sherburne and in Chenango County today, any word of damage (further damage?) to this line?

I don't believe any further damage was done to the Utica line from the flooding, but if we continue to get rain before the river has a chance to recede, it could get to the point where it could cause more damage.
  by Steve F45

Most of the flooding was east and north of the line. But while in Greene, NY the river thats right there was extremely extremely high and raging. Any more heavy rains up there and it will spill its banks.

But back to the line, all that weed cuting will need to be redone. Its all grown back.
  by Alek9997

Nah, All it would probably need is an application of Roundup or a similar herbicide. It was MUCH worse last year because that was the first time it had been trimmed since the washouts originally happened.

I'm hoping and praying the line does not wash out more than it already has as well.

Cheers !

Alek
  by milkman

brockwaythemusician wrote:
Some flooding in Sherburne and in Chenango County today, any word of damage (further damage?) to this line
Saw a picture from Earlville floating around on facebook

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That's not good.I hope that's the only one and that the rain will stop.