• Utica Branch Discussion Thread

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

by lvrr325

Russ, that's exactly the same thing I linked to.
  by Cactus Jack

Regarding the location of the O&W / RW&O Bridge:

It was locacted just to the west of the piers by Potter Street near the site of the old coal shed and crossed over the NYC&HR RR coming down to the west of the U&BR/RW&O Roundhouse the alignment of which is probably 200 feet or so east of the east edge of the State Street entrance ramp for northbound Routes 12 / 8. The southbound exit ramp off Routes 12 / 8 has a pier that pretty much obliterates where the DL&W / EL yard office was located.
  by fredrick

I know no word yet on witch railroad company is going to take over this line.from what I hear from some people the railroad company is going to be is nysw .is going to take over this line.if this is the case lets hope nysw is going to take good care of this line.this time round.
  by lvrr325

Uh, the tracks belong to the NYS&W right now, the land to the individual counties it passes through.

For someone else to take over, NYS&W or Delaware Otsego Corporation would have to sell the track itself to a new operator, or to the counties.

Could that happen? Anything is possible, but it doesn't seem very likely.
  by johnpbarlow

ut-1 wrote:The NYS&W ran a snowplow on the Utica Branch today. It is shown here hustling through Chadwicks, NY:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZqIkBVkBGY
Interesting plow - given it steers snow only to the right, was it originally intended for double track clearing? Any idea who the original owner RR was? Thanks.
  by lvrr325

http://www.trainweb.org/JordanSpreader/ ... oducts.htm

Possible it's ex-Army, possible it was ordered new.

NYS&W has three plows, #91-92-93. This one is in Utica and normally one is on the Syracuse side somewhere with the other in New Jersey. It doesn't seem likely that the pre-1980 NYS&W needed three plows, but Google is not showing me much to the heritage of them.
  by Cactus Jack

In about 1992 the NYSW obtained a plow from the US Air Force that was housed at Griffiss AFB in Rome, NY. Not sure whatever happened to it and maybe the plow in the video is the one.

There was also a plow from the old FJ&G that I recall eventually made it to Utica after FJ&G was closed out and equipment brought down in 1988. I think that one may have been cut up.
  by lvrr325

Searches on this particular plow came up with some info that it may have been USAF, I typed that wrong previously, but nothing certain. The cupola design is very odd - for tight overhead clearances perhaps?
  by thebigham

Nicely painted plow!
  by fredrick

I just want to know if any videos out their of the Utica branch between 1999 to june 2006.i know theirs videos of the Utica branch between 97 and 98.i just wonder if theirs any videos of the Utica branch between 1999 to june of 2006.please post it thank you.
  by charlie6017

There doesn't appear to be much, Fredrick..........I tried to dig a little bit. I may try more
searching again later.

Charlie
  by fredrick

on Friday I was in oxford going over the crossing on 32 b there and I seen a new sliver I guess a new control signal I don't think that was there before.
  by fredrick

I heard from several people maybe repairs might start this summer.on this line. does anybody know if this is true?