• Urgent Maintenance on 3 or 4

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by John_Perkowski

Amtrak had a baggage coach break some piece/part of a truck.

Either they called UP/BNSF, a contractor (Midwest Railcar is just a few miles away), or sent a crew from Chicago or the Grove to fix it.

There are drop pits IIRC at the BNSF Argentine and Neff UP (ex MP) IIRC, but Amtrak went with vertical lift. BTW, I don’t believe for one instant this was scheduled.

Video from Union Station Kansas City on Instagram.

by Tadman

Definitely not scheduled. But also you'll notice the account belongs to Union Station, not Amtrak. Probably someone who knows very little about railwas as KCUS is now an entertainment venue that happens to have a small train station out back and is managed by people focusing on restaurants, concerts, and weddings.

My guess also is that it was cheaper and faster to hire the mobile crane than it was to have a local come grab this and drag it to Argentine yard. Isn't there a daily setout coach that runs Chicago-KC? If they did this right it could be turned around in a day and sent home the following day in revenue service.
  by Railjunkie

Replaced a wheel set likely cause was a flat spot. Once the coach is back together get your QMPs together to inspect, air test, and your good to go. Amtrak will likely deadhead the coach back to Chicago.
  by Tadman

Shows you how long it's been since I rode 3/4. Maybe ten years. It was a good way for a poor college student to get home from KC/Lawrence when I didn't care if 4 was half-day late coming in from LA. I can't afford that kind of time these days and I don't live in KC or Chicago anyway.