• Updates on 39's rebuild, possible?

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Richard Glueck

Great news, Don. Thanks for that update.
Sure, there are all manner of minor collisions that might have involved 39 in her service years. I was limiting myself (unrealisitically) to public events. It is equally possible that her regular shopping resulted in such a rebuild. Whatever the case, I am thrilled that she's getting a Class A shopping now!

Oil firing is generally dictated by three considerations: One is that oil is considered less polluting to the atmosphere; Two is fire danger; Three is availability. I believe oil firing is also a little friendlier to the steel of the locomotive in terms of corrosion. 39 (and hopefully 35 as well) will be oil fired. Big deal. Yes, I'd rather coal, but give me a an operative G5s and I'll take oil.

by Long Island 7285

Operation is what matters, the Locomotive will STILL sound the same. and the cab will still make a 80 degree humid day feel like aircondition :-D

like i said i dont know suffolks laws regurding coal, but weather its oil, coal or even garbage, if it can make the steam to run the engine, its fine with me
:-D

by Long Island 7285

I seen 39 sitting on a frame prosumeably built just for her at boilermatics welding. engine is full of service rust but i guess thats part of step 1 (?) tender has vents for the oil conversion already installed.
Picture crideted to LIRRNOVA55

by Long Island 7285

whats wrong with the forum not showing the photos???

by Long island Joe

by lirrmike

Joe,

Nice photos! When's the open house? I haven't recieved anything from the group. Thanks.

Mike

by Richard Glueck

Excellent shot, Paul. Isn't it great to see 39 being actively worked upon? I am so pleased to see 50 years of anticipation paying off. Great job to all those at the RMLI and other involved. Let's not forget to support the Friends of 35, too. Their locomotive is no less important and functional.

by Long Island 7285

LIJ thanks for the cover up. i dont know why the picture did not work i tried 5 diffrent times but rrnet was dicking it around.

by n2qhvRMLI

Forum Members!

Excellent photo! Thank you for the post.

A note of caution tho', BoilerMatic is private property and they will get antsy if folks start showing up to see whats going on. Please respect their operations and privacy.

Beyond that, the boiler looks great! The rust indeed is the patena after sandblasting all the paint and crud off her. It is my understanding that as work progresses, a shelter will rise around and over the boiler to protect the workers and the work from the elements.

As for the "Open House," I believe you're refering to Riverhead Railroad Festival. Plans are in full swing for our sixth event on Saturday and Sunday, August 27 and 28. We will be celebrating the 50th Anniversary of "The End of Steam" on the LIRR, 1955 - 2005. Gates open at 10:00 AM and close at 4:00 PM each day. There will be a host of new surprises for the attendees as well as the usual vendors, food and displays.

Mark you calendars now, more info in the coming weeks!

de Don, n2qhvRMLI

by M1 9147

Mike, its the last weekend in August. I've not gotten any words either, I'm referring to Long Island Joe for the info also.

by Dave Keller

Never fear . . . . . that rust is minor surface rusting after sandblasting and will most probably even rub off with a rag.

Similar to the rust that forms atop a rail overnight. The next train that runs over it removes the rust.

Only if it sits thus for months on end will it begin to get serious and eat into the steel.

Through-rusting is irreparable and cannot be welded. The steel must be cut back to a solid, non-rotten portion and a steel patch affixed by welding to the good surface.

I gotta say . . . . Che bella locomotiva!!!!!

Dave Keller