• Update on PATCO Car Rebuild

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by josef

This page is now not available on the site. Ruh roh.
  by josef

Just in case anyone's interested, I heard back from them about this just now:

"The overhaul has been delayed, and the old pictures had been up for some time. We decided to remove them until we have something new to show you. Delays are not unusual in projects of this size and scope, and we hope to have a working prototype in our yards in 2014. As soon as we have a tested, working car in the Lindenwold yard, we will post photographs once again. We also will let you know when the new cars are available for public inspection."
  by South Jersey Budd

Thanks for the update, although it is not good news. Maybe PATCO is imploding.
  by prr60

josef wrote:Just in case anyone's interested, I heard back from them about this just now:

"The overhaul has been delayed, and the old pictures had been up for some time. We decided to remove them until we have something new to show you. Delays are not unusual in projects of this size and scope, and we hope to have a working prototype in our yards in 2014. As soon as we have a tested, working car in the Lindenwold yard, we will post photographs once again. We also will let you know when the new cars are available for public inspection."
Hope to have a working prototype in 2014? Wow! Talk about a vague statement. That leaves open the possibility that even 14 months from now, they still will not have a finished car. The first cars went up to Alstom in March of 2011. It's well over two years now. December 2014 would be nearly four years.

I wonder if there is more to this issue than meets the eye? Maybe the car structures are not as sound as assumed?
  by R36 Combine Coach

prr60 wrote: The first cars went up to Alstom in March of 2011. It's well over two years now.

I wonder if there is more to this issue than meets the eye? Maybe the car structures are not as sound as assumed?
The bodies date back to 1968, and many cars of the same age or older have been fully rebuilt (lightweight Heritage fleet, Arrow I/Comet I-B...). Could also be delays in parts vendors, testing or a lapse/hold in work (such as the prototype cars mostly complete, but still have some outlying issues before being released).
  by TWTRTECH

Looks like two cars are back from Alstom and are at the Lindinwold shop as of Monday .
  by jamesinclair

Rode patco for the first time this weekend.

I loved how vintage 1960 the cars looked, it was like stepping back in time.

Anyone know the width of the cars? They felt so wide. 2x2 seating with an extra wide aisle.
  by chuchubob

jamesinclair wrote:Rode patco for the first time this weekend.

I loved how vintage 1960 the cars looked, it was like stepping back in time.

Anyone know the width of the cars? They felt so wide. 2x2 seating with an extra wide aisle.
Thanks to Bill Vigrass:
"PATCO car dimensions: 67'6" long x 10'00" wide x 12'6" high. Same as BMT 2000's. PATCO is a "son of Broad Street Subway"
and a cousin of BMT."
  by ReadingAve

Thanks for the first look. Any idea how the new car numbers carry over from the original?
  by chuchubob

ReadingAve wrote:Thanks for the first look. Any idea how the new car numbers carry over from the original?
A former employee suggested that 2XY be renumbered 10XY. Thats what they're doing.
  by glennk419

The rubber wheels should make for a much quieter ride. ;)
  by BuddCar711

Why are the marker lights being deleted? I do understand the installation of end gates (though given the design of the car, I thought it would be impossible), but aren't marker lights needed for safety?
  by JeffK

glennk419 wrote:The rubber wheels should make for a much quieter ride. ;)
Definitely. And I especially like the idea of making the cars diesel-hauled. No shortage of HEP there!