Railroad Forums 

• UPDATE: FA-2 #302 at Colonie, NY

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#501935  by mxdata

Here we are a month later, did this unit ever move? Anybody been by Colonie lately to see if it has gone?

MX

#502002  by Alcoman

Went by Colonie Yard today. Still there. I don't know what the hold up is, but I will try to find out.
John

#502011  by DutchRailnut

It needs more than just a tow , To be able to move the unit it will need to get airbrakes and valves to be serviced and COTS done.

#502018  by Alcoman

As I understand it, it passed inspection of the air brakes and has current COTS.

#502300  by mxdata

There is no "waybill data reported" entry in the system so far, that is one problem. Maybe there isn't a waybill yet. Then it needs a clearance wire, and after that it takes a couple days and many phone calls to get the clerk in Jacksonville to match them up and put them on the system. Please keep us posted on the progress. :(

#519483  by Kuyahoora Valley

I've been told that 302 has finally moved and is in Kenwood Yard.

#519518  by Alcoman

Yes, it has moved. I could not find it however either in Kenwood or Selkirk. Must be buried.

#519856  by thebigham

Great news!!

Now what about the rest of the Alcos?

#528399  by tj48

This question has probably been asked already but where is the ultimate destination of this unit, and has it reached it?

#538531  by kilroy3488

This FA, got as far as the Port of Albany and is now sitting on a siding with more unused junk. It'll be another 10 years before it moves again...I though it was going somewhere......

Rob D
 #575386  by Kuyahoora Valley

The September RAILPACE has a photo of 302 in Buckhannon, WV. It is headed for the West Virginia Central.

It's finally left NYS...I guess Scot can delete it from his NY ALCOs page. :( But hopefully it's going to a better home.
 #575654  by Alcoman

Some final comments before I lock this thread....I plan to start a new one under a NEW title.

This FA-2 302 was sold by the M&H Chapter back in March 1994. It sat in Colonie yard for over 13 years before being shipped out due to many roadblocks that the Western Maryland Railway Historical Society faced.
The locomotive is now in good hands with the West Virgina Railroad Museum. I am told their plans include the complete restoration of this FA2 to operating condition. This is going to be a large undertaking to say the least. This is some of what will have to be done to make this locomotive run:
1) Rewire the electrical cabinet
2) Reset the generator(LIRR had set generator for reduced output)
3) Repair freeze damage to the cooling system.
4) Replace all traction motors-(cables are missing due to vandalism.) and service trucks and wheels.
5) Repair Turbo because of freeze damage.
6) Repair air system.
7) Clean out fuel tank, replace fuel and filters
8) Replace lube oil and filters
9) Replace all window glass to meet FRA requirments.
10) Replace all carbody panels.
This is a short list. There are more things I am sure I have left out..
Back in 1993, George Hockaday gave me an estimate of approximately $100,000 to do an restoratiopn. This is why the Chapter sold the Alco as it was out of reach for the Chapter to take on.

See the new thread titled: FA Restoration- We can discuss ALL FA projects there.