Railroad Forums 

• UP San Antonio?

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#169007  by mikentexas

what cities are in San Antonio region that i could be possibly working at? i went for the interview today and they said if i was hired i probably wouldn't be in San Antonio . The only towns mentioned were Laredo and smithville. i live in georgetown and i thought UP came through here. that would be nice but i have no problem moving though. just curious of what other small towns could be my home base. thanks

#169093  by GOLDEN-ARM

Obviously included, San Antonio. Also included, Corpus Christi, Austin, and I believe Temple is still in the SA service unit. Regards :-D

#169403  by usa4624

Temple is not a UP crew change point, in fact, it's not even in the UP timetable! (It's Opal Junction). As far as UP San Antonio crews, they cover a lot of ground. They go as far south as Corpus Christi or Brownsville, as far east as Houston and Beaumont, and as far north as Fort Worth and Valley Junction (Hearne). Also, crew calls for Taylor, San Marcos, Smithville and New Braunfuls are quite common.

Simply put, you will be working virtually anywhere in central and southern Texas, after showing up at the San Antonio crew station and a (long) van ride. I live in Taylor, and monitor the UP radio constantly. It seems crews spend more time waiting for a limo than they do on a train!

#169422  by GOLDEN-ARM

I worked at Brownsville, and I can assure you, I was a Houston employee, not a San Antonio person. The Brownsville jobs work out of home terminal Kingsville, and lay-over at Brownsville. There were 2 SP yard/local jobs that covered Brownsville, but they were crewed out of Harlingen. Corpus crews do not run to Brownsville, they run west, to SA. Regards :-D

#169424  by GOLDEN-ARM

Looking at your post again, the SA crews DO NOT go to Houston, or to Beaumont. these are Houston jobs. Houston service unit covers all the jobs, from Livonia, Beaumont, Houston, Angleton, Galveston, Hearne (south/east) Victoria/Bloomington, Kingsville, Harlingen and Brownsville. All jobs in and around Houston, including Spring, are also all Houston jobs. 5 years of running, from Englewood yard, never saw a SA crew in any of the locations you mentioned, except for AFHT Hearne. Regards :wink:

#169480  by mikentexas

thanks guys for the response! i go for the strength/physical testing tomorrow.