Railroad Forums 

• Unpaid training

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#135118  by freshmeat

I need some information.

When you transfer from one Grand Seniority District to another on the BNSF, the carrier believes that they do not have to pay for your familiarization on that territory. Also on the BN side the carrier does not have a policy of paying for familiarization on new territories.

Does any other carrier require unpaid familiarization when you transfer to another territory?

Thanks,
 #135603  by jg greenwood

freshmeat wrote:I need some information.

When you transfer from one Grand Seniority District to another on the BNSF, the carrier believes that they do not have to pay for your familiarization on that territory. Also on the BN side the carrier does not have a policy of paying for familiarization on new territories.

Does any other carrier require unpaid familiarization when you transfer to another territory?

Thanks,
One of my many furloughs while employed by the BNSF, resulted in my going to Galesburg, IL. This was around 2000. They had a miserable policy in effect that required one to "familiarize" for seven days, for nothing. Supposedly, this was also the policy in Memphis, TN. This policy was implementated in an effort to discourage people from "bumping in".
IMHO, just another example of our unions in action. You're bumping into another terminal because you're forced to, not because you prefer being 300-miles from home.

#135723  by freshmeat

Yeah, ain't it great. The carrier creates system wide seniority then throws up barriers to keep people working. Unpaid familiarization isn't over yet. I smell lawyers getting involved!

#136280  by CSX Conductor

System-wide seniority? That could both pros and cons.

I like my seniority district, plenty of flexibility. (Boston as far west as Cleveland, OH, and south to New Jersey.)