Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by robertwa

What's new about the the new M-7 seats? Are they wider (I hope)? Have they changed the %$#@%$ armrests that I sometimes get stuck on?

by 7 Train

I prefer old style seating better. The new M7 seating looks quite tacky, especially with the weird colors and the material.

by One of One-Sixty

robertwa wrote:What's new about the the new M-7 seats? Are they wider (I hope)? Have they changed the %$#@%$ armrests that I sometimes get stuck on?
f your familar with racing seats, imagine one molded to fit 2 ppl.

I like these seats better than that on the M1 and M3s

by Frank

The M7 seats look better. The M1/3 seats look trashed.

by Long Island 7285

well if the LIRR dont scrap M1's with seats dated december 2004. and january 2005.

maby the seats will be better,

hey guys its you money going to become couches in mexico.

you should not be blind to it.

and unions have power to strike? thretten the railroad/MTA when you catch them sending brand new seat cussions and newly rebuilt trucks out.

some of that can be used on other trains that are still inservice.

where is the common sence here?

the main point is OUR MONEY. if maby if they stoped the waistfull spending as stated above, fare hikes will be less frequent.

by Frank

Long Island 7285 wrote:well if the LIRR dont scrap M1's with seats dated december 2004. and january 2005.

maby the seats will be better,

hey guys its you money going to become couches in mexico.

you should not be blind to it.

and unions have power to strike? thretten the railroad/MTA when you catch them sending brand new seat cussions and newly rebuilt trucks out.

some of that can be used on other trains that are still inservice.

where is the common sence here?

the main point is OUR MONEY. if maby if they stoped the waistfull spending as stated above, fare hikes will be less frequent.
Bombardier made a deal with the MTA to send the M1s down to Mexico for scrap.
  by N340SG

robertwa,
What's new about the the new M-7 seats? Are they wider (I hope)?
No, the boxes of new seats are to replace seats that have been severely damaged by vandals. Exact replacement for existing seats.

There was something supposed to be done about the armrests. I don't know what they're waiting for.
Their answer will probably be to have BBD guys at Arch street hacksaw a few inches off each armrest. :P

Tom

P.S. Note about HMC upholstery shop:
Although the conveyor system is still largely intact, I believe the upholstery shop itself has been transformed into office space over the years.

by Long Island 7285

Bombardier made a deal with the MTA to send the M1s down to Mexico for scrap.
Right, but there is no need to send them to Mexico with brand new seat cussions, trucks and so on, when they can still be used here, if every riped M1/M3 seat cussion was replaced with one from a Dead M1 money will be saved. its the light of common sence flashing bright as day.

it'a aparent that the citizans whom pay taxes to this very state in MORE ways then 1, seem to have little intrest in doing somthing that will save them any money. if my plan would save only ONE DOLLAR then it worked.

will god bless america and the state of new york and my tax dollar!

by DutchRailnut

The scrap contractor pays for a complete car, not a gutted shell.
so however the car is retired thats how the scrapper gets it.

by Long Island 7285

Dutch,

thats right, how ever replacing broken seats you will have a pile of broken seats. put them in the scrap cars and letem roll.

now every one benifits, they get a full car, you get good seats.

there is absolutly no explaination for our elected officials to be able to waist tax payers money like that. but if thats the ball game that has to be plan they let me hit the home run.

for every seat cousion that is 6mos, or younger and is in Mint condition that get scrapped 2 if its a 2 seater 3 if its a 3 seater people get FREE rides on the price of their tax dollar.

its is not accpetable to throw out absolutly NEW itams that can be RECYCLED in place of distroyed items on in service trains, the scrapper will get his garbage "as is" as far as he's concerned the seats in that car were like that.

by KFRG

"The M7 seats look better. The M1/3 seats look trashed."

M7 seating sucks. End of story...

by Frank

KFRG wrote:"The M7 seats look better. The M1/3 seats look trashed."

M7 seating sucks. End of story...
M1/3 seats are ugly and not very comfortable.

by Long Island 7285

No comment on the above,

but i dont care what the scrapper pays for, hes getting his share of "1st class shit" one way or another.

ill go in the dam things n salvage recycleable seats n' so on then place the shit on the MTAs desk and say pay me what you pay the manfacture for this "new" stuff that was "my money waisted" then see what they say.

Maby the NEWS should get in on this topic. there really good at getting the people lit about the railroads short comes.

by Frank

Long Island 7285 wrote:No comment on the above,

but i dont care what the scrapper pays for, hes getting his share of "1st class stuff" one way or another.

ill go in the dam things n salvage recycleable seats n' so on then place the stuff on the MTAs desk and say pay me what you pay the manfacture for this "new" stuff that was "my money waisted" then see what they say.

Maby the NEWS should get in on this topic. there really good at getting the people lit about the railroads short comes.
They probably do salvage some seats that are in good shape. I doubt they would throw them away with the car.

by Long Island 7285

They do.

And im shure that they scrap other brand new shit as well.