• Uniq. Eqpmt Sightings: Private Varnish (PV's), Charters, etc

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by jhdeasy

The dome car moved east as part of a special train: 821, 10031 OCEAN VIEW and 90214.

The last time I checked the AAPRCO Facilities Guide, the only privately owned dome that Amtrak will allow on trains 448/449 between ALB and BOS is PPCX 800203 MOONLIGHT DOME, a 1948 Budd product built with a lower profile dome for C&O's Chessie. Apparently there is a very close clearance requirement somewhere between Beacon Park and the bumpers at South Station.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=4300119
  by jhdeasy

PV photo opportunity: BABBLING BROOK on train 281 from NYP to ALB and train 448 from ALB to BOS today 8/25.
  by BandA

What does it cost to charter an Amtrak train? What was the consist (someone said there was a conference-room car, I assume 1 coach and 1 diner or diner lite?) Was food provided by Amtrak or catered? Assume this ran "express", what was the runtime compared to a usual train? How many people travel with a baseball team, 30? 50?

NE Patriots have train service to their stadium
  by Greg Moore

Probably 2-3 coaches and a cafe car.
Definitely not a diner (Amtrak doesn't have enough) and probably not a diner-lite (no real need).
  by Backshophoss

You have the team,coaching staff, trainers,the beat writers,TV/Radio announcers,traveling mangement staff
and equipment personel. Baggage and team Equipment are most likely trucked between stadiums/hotels when
traveling along the NEC.
Most teams fill up a charter 727/737 plane easy,figure on at least 60 to 90 people per team.
  by twropr

This evening (Aug 29), while listening to the Mohawk Radio Feed, I heard the engine crew on LAKE SHORE LIMITED #49 identify the lead engine as #707, which is a P32AC-DM (dual mode normally used in service between NY and Albany). Could this be the next Empire unit to get painted at Beech Grove? This may be the first time the LAKE SHORE has been led by a dual mode west of ALB.
​Andy
  by BandA

Photo shows engine + 3 cars...one on the back says "metro" on the left so assume it's a metroliner cab car.
  by DutchRailnut

former cab car, the conference car 9800 does no longer have controls.
and since team was moved two days before game, they did not go to stadium but to a hotel.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Has any reaction by the players, favorable or otherwise, been noted in sports media to the rail journeys?

I would think it be a welcome relief from the "joy of flight".
  by DutchRailnut

sports teams just like other employees travel whatever way the employer wants, and Yankees have used trains quite a lot for games on east coast. so their not debutantes on this.