• Uniq. Eqpmt Sightings: Private Varnish (PV's), Charters, etc

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by chuchubob

On Sunday afternoon Amtrak GP38H-3 527 picked up Business car Southern Railway 1 from Juniata Terminal Company and took SOU 1 east on Conrail's Delair Branch to SHORE, where they got onto the NEC and went west to 30th Street, from where SOU 1 reportedly went to New York on train 44 Pennsylvanian Sunday night to head for Jacksonville on train 97 (30) Silver Meteor..
  by HBLR

daylight4449 wrote:What's with the rigging in the middle of the tracks?
Those are platform bridges to allow a "normal" station stop when a track is out of service through a station. Low level stops can be done, but are not practical in the long term due to the way the station(s) are configured Typically there is a low platform, usually wooden off either end of the concrete high level platform. They can only usually get one, maybe 2 cars to open there, and in commuter railroading that is just not going to let passengers board/alight quickly enough to keep the schedule.

When not in use they can be seen assembled or collapsed (they come apart into 4 pieces) all along the right of way near where they were last used or might be used next etc.

"Bridge plates" on the other hand are actually for bridging the gap between train car floor & platform edge. Primarily used for wheelchairs, but other instances are not uncommon. They are typically stored on the platform. In NJT territory they are stored in black metal boxes with doors that open on one side.

When these platform bridges are in place, it can sometimes take the engineer a few tries to get them lined up with the doors. But it's still much faster than low platform stop.
  by hi55us

Train2009 wrote:Northeast Regional Train #88 with a Amfleet II Car...I spotted it in Mamaroneck this afternoon, it was in use for Business Class

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83rh3_diDkw
are you sure this is #88? It's odd cause this train originated in VA, meaning the A2 was on a southbound train the day before.
  by DutchRailnut

88 would have been east bound, the OP said its going west bound.
then working this line for nearly 27 years, it appears by scenery the train is heading eastbound.
  by chuchubob

Three Heritage units were at Race Street Engine Facility in Philadelphia Monday afternoon: 406 and 822 from the Exhibit Train and 145 back from a weekend round trip to Pittsburgh on trains 43 and 44 Pennsylvanian.
The NS GP40-2's are leased for ballast train/MOW work.
  by HBLR

Some kind of fan looking car is parked at Hudson yard.
  by Gilbert B Norman

ex-PRR "Congressional" cars, now PV's, "Greenwich Harbor" and "Greenwich Estate" were on rear of #4 (30MAY)
  by strench707

Sheriff PV was on the back of the NB Crescent 20 yesterday morning by L'Enfant.

Davis
  by andegold

Coming through Princeton Junction this morning the Palmetto had two coaches ahead of the baggage car. Would they be in transit betwen shops or would that be a private rental of some sort?

Also, yesterday evening around 7:00 pm pulling in to Princeton Junction we passed a Westbound Regional with a work diesel leading ahead of the AEM7.
  by CSX Conductor

diburning wrote:There are two private passenger cars at Boston South Station. One of them appears to have a trainphone antenna.
I believe they will be going out on 67 tonight.
  by CSX Conductor

The Corridor Clipper was on the rear of #172 in Boston today. I looked it up and it showed as destined for Maine, I believe on #689 this evening.
  by JR4815D2

Today outside of Philly, I saw a P42DC No. 84 pulling AEM-7 No. 915 and a set of Amfleets heading to Washington DC. It was between Train No. 173 and No. 127. Does anyone know if this was a revenue train or deadheading to DC. I notice No. 125 on the status page show no info.