• Uniq. Eqpmt Sightings: Private Varnish (PV's), Charters, etc

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by jhdeasy

Private Car Photo Opportunity

Friday, April 1: Train 50, The Cardinal, CIN to WAS: BIRCH GROVE, THE OBSERVATORY and CHAPEL HILL.

Sunday, April 3: Train 51, The Cardinal, WAS to CIN: BIRCH GROVE, THE OBSERVATORY and CHAPEL HILL.
  by Irishiron

daylight4449 wrote:Sure sounds like it. Why can't I ever get a catch like this when i'm in Old Orchard?
Like my Dad used to say..."If you wanna see the damn thing you have to be there." - Apparently the 107 trailed for lack of a functioning cab heater. Definitely going to take the time to catch 66/67 the next few days since I'm off.
  by jhdeasy

Tadman wrote:Chicago Report (3/27/2011)

NYC 448.
Looking at those two photos, I see NYC 448 appears to be in excellent condition for a 1947 vintage Budd truss construction car. It looks very well preserved/repaired, despite the 64 years that have passed since it left the builder's shop.
  by Tadman

It was goshdarn pristine. I cannot tell you if it was a "ten-footer*" or not, as I was on a bridge at least 10' up and away, but from my vantage point it was immaculate.

*A ten-footer is something (IE: car, boat, train) that looks good until you get within ten feet of it, and you start to detect something like rust bubbles, orange peel paint, un-level shocks, etc... that aren't visible until you get up close. I suspect the 448 is not a ten-footer.
  by jhdeasy

Tadman wrote:It was goshdarn pristine. I cannot tell you if it was a "ten-footer*" or not, as I was on a bridge at least 10' up and away, but from my vantage point it was immaculate.

*A ten-footer is something (IE: car, boat, train) that looks good until you get within ten feet of it, and you start to detect something like rust bubbles, orange peel paint, un-level shocks, etc... that aren't visible until you get up close. I suspect the 448 is not a ten-footer.
I first heard that term in 1987 from the famous Les Kasten, CEO of Kastern Railcar Services, Edwardsville IL.

Ozark Mountain Rail has 70 interior and exterior photos of NYC 448 at this link:
http://ozarkmtnrail.jalbum.net/New-York ... r-%23448/#

Inquiring minds want to know --- where has NYC 448 been for the past 40 years? Is this one of the former NYC cars owned by the New Orleans Chapter, NRHS?

There are only a relatively small number of privately owned dining cars certified to operate on Amtrak and Via Rail Canada trains.
  by CSX Conductor

Irishiron wrote:66(27)......Operating as such due to power suspension North of New Haven for wire work. Was definitely worth the detour on the way home.
Not quite. The Night Owl operates that way more so because of the Miamicok Bridge project on the Shore Line.

There is an entire discussion of the 66/67 operations here.
  by Irishiron

CSX Conductor wrote:
Irishiron wrote:66(27)......Operating as such due to power suspension North of New Haven for wire work. Was definitely worth the detour on the way home.
Not quite. The Night Owl operates that way more so because of the Miamicok Bridge project on the Shore Line.

There is an entire discussion of the 66/67 operations here.
Yup. That too. :-P / 66(30) 104, 924 with 7 by Morrisville. Running electric.
  by Irishiron

66(31) by Bristol
Amfleet II Cafe Deadhead
Baggage
Amfleet's x 5

Ouuuuuuut...
  by hi55us

Train2009 wrote:Amtrak Northeast Regional Train #163 from Boston, MA had a Amfleet II coach car as its 9th car...it was most likely deadheaded to Washington, DC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zv8QsPTk0SU
hopefully they let people it in it!(or for that matter, sold seats!)
  by Tadman

by Gilbert B Norman

Funny, but they were gone by the time I arrived on BNSF 1268 (CUS 342P) yesterday.
  by jhdeasy

Tadman wrote:PV's in Chicago on 4/4/11

Pacific Union, NYC 448, a CZ Sleeper, and L&N Royal Street.

I believe they depart tonight on #50.
Correct. This movement is marketed as American Rail Excursions' "Cherry Blossom Special", although their timing is a bit late for peak cherry blossom viewing this year. CHI to WAS on train 50 of April 5th. Park occupied at WAS. WAS to CHI on train 29 of April 9th.
  by daylight4449

DutchRailnut wrote:
daylight4449 wrote:Saw a weird CSX locomotive, number PSM-1 or PMS-1 (can't remember the right order for the middle two) looks like a Americanized Class 60. My guess is that it was a geometry car.
yo DoDo this is for Amtrak Unique Sightings not other choo choo's
True. Figured I'd mention it here, seeing someone might know what it is.
  by Tadman

GBN - the cars were parked against a wall, it's likely they had been moved to the other side of the long building and thus weren't visible. They departed as part of 50(5) today, about 30 minutes late out of the gate. I have video and I'll post it tomorrow AM.