Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by ExChiGuy

What are the limitations preventing consolidation of north/south commuter operations so that through-service is possible between Metra lines operating north and south of downtown? I know Boston is considering this for their North and South stations (which are over a mile away).

This would seem a no-brainer considering the proximity of UC and OTC. There must be a lot of pent-up demand since there are no viable transit options for north-south commuters who bypass downtown. Obviously a big-ticket item but seemingly a lot of bang for the buck.

I recall some renderings produced about 5 years ago showing a West Loop/Clinton Street subway showing buses on Level 1, CTA subway on Level 2 and Metra on Level 3. I believe this was part of the Central Area Plan. What is the status of this study?
  by doepack

ExChiGuy wrote:What are the limitations preventing consolidation of north/south commuter operations so that through-service is possible between Metra lines operating north and south of downtown? I know Boston is considering this for their North and South stations (which are over a mile away).

This would seem a no-brainer considering the proximity of UC and OTC. There must be a lot of pent-up demand since there are no viable transit options for north-south commuters who bypass downtown. Obviously a big-ticket item but seemingly a lot of bang for the buck
Metra's BNSF, Milwaukee North, and UP/N lines currently serve the most "reverse" commuters, many of whom travel to suburban office jobs in Lisle, Bannockburn, and Highland Park; indeed, the service is definitely reflected in the schedule. Not to mention the wealthy suburban residents of Winnetka and Glencoe that hire Chicago-based cleaning compaines to clean their homes during the day, and many of these cleaning employees ride from Chicago on UP/N as well. While some of these commuters are riding in from their home suburbs on other Metra trains during the traditional morning commute, the vast majority of Metra's reverse commuters live in the city itself, and primarily use CTA for the trip to/from Metra's downtown stations. As such, due to the current demographics, I don't really see a market in Chicago for Metra "through trains", like those proposed in Boston, or currently operated to a certain degree by SEPTA in Philadelphia.
ExChiGuy wrote:I recall some renderings produced about 5 years ago showing a West Loop/Clinton Street subway showing buses on Level 1, CTA subway on Level 2 and Metra on Level 3. I believe this was part of the Central Area Plan. What is the status of this study?
I saw that plan too, the scope was interesting, but, without recalling precise details, I remember having a lot of questions regarding its feasibility and logistics. But still. 5 years later, there's been no real committment from anyone, so I guess it's still being studied to death...

by Tadman

It's not a terrible idea, just a sh*tpile of money. Further, CUS serves two lines to the south, and two to the north - so one can transfer from north concourse to south concourse in what's essentially a 100' cross-platform transfer. There's also only one through track at CUS, and that's reserved for longer Amtraks, although I'm sure some agreement could be arrived at.

As far as making some type of run-thru operation at Ogilvie, it's a three block walk to CUS. It's not like walking from BON to BOS, so I don't see the city spending the money - even if the money were available, it's better spent elsewhere.

by metrarider

A limited service connection could be built without too much cost.

the UP-N and NW lines have a freight only track that splits off prior to taking their final curve lining up for OTC. This line goes down to grade and serves the Chicago Tribune plant, as well as the Blommer chocolate factory. This ends about 1 or 2 blocks from the north end tracks coming out of Union Station. Most of the land between is parking lot or disused industrial space.

This would allow some service from UP-N/NW to Union Station, however, I'm not sure what utility such a connection would have. Service would be limited due to available tracks in Union Station, and as others have said it's a short walk between Union and OTC.

I'd rather they connected Union Station to the L - although that would be much more $

by Tadman

That's an interesting idea, and I'm going to pull a traditional "metra forum off-topic post" here.

Why not 86 the west leg of the loop and expand the loop to canal street - the city has experiance big growth on the near west-loop area, and it's a shame the loop doesn't cover much of it except the lake line. However, that is really big money.

by doepack

metrarider wrote:the UP-N and NW lines have a freight only track that splits off prior to taking their final curve lining up for OTC. This line goes down to grade and serves the Chicago Tribune plant, as well as the Blommer chocolate factory. This ends about 1 or 2 blocks from the north end tracks coming out of Union Station. Most of the land between is parking lot or disused industrial space
At one time, those ex-CNW tracks at grade level did provide access to the north end of CUS, via a connection at CUS's Lake St. interlocking, just east of where Metra's current 3-track ROW curves west at Canal St. From what I read, it was a joint arrangement between CNW and the Milwaukee Road, where the latter served other industrial customers in the area at the time; but it's my understanding that passenger moves on this connection were rare. It was eventually removed by the Milwaukee Road more than 30 years ago, as business in the area dried up...
metrarider wrote:This would allow some service from UP-N/NW to Union Station, however, I'm not sure what utility such a connection would have. Service would be limited due to available tracks in Union Station, and as others have said it's a short walk between Union and OTC
And while we're entertaining yet another lesson on rebuilding capacity in areas where it once existed, doing this on the cheap is iffy at best, but if resotred, it does have some, but limited, potential. Specific benefits would include, and likely be confined to:

1. A more direct connection between the north end of CUS and UP's California yard and M19A facilities, which would eliminate the current A-2 routing for such moves...

2. Could be used to reroute certain Metra/UP trains into CUS, especially during emergencies, or when extensive switch/signal problems within the Lake St. interlocking plant at OTC is tying up traffic...

3. On the rare occasions that Amtrak's California Zephyr needs to be rerouted via UP's Geneva sub, it could use this direct connection to access UP's ROW straight out of the north end of CUS...

Speaking of Amtrak, this would've been a much better, and more direct route for the short-lived Janesville trains, picking up UP trackage right from downtown, and traveling on that arrow-straight NW tangent all the way via the Harvard sub, thus eliminating the need to run via the Fox Lake sub altogether, perhaps with a stop at Barrington or Crystal Lake for good measure. But in terms of revenue Metra movements, I still don't see a sustainable market for it, the walk between the stations is short enough, and would be used infrequently at best if restored. This option could be revisited if/when the A-2 reconfiguration comes online, but it's probably best to leave it be for right now...
metrarider wrote:I'd rather they connected Union Station to the L - although that would be much more $
Or rather, bring the 'L' (or subway) to the CUS/OTC stations, as described in the West Loop/Central Area plan originally noted above. It's not a bad concept, but it's going to cost too much, and probably isn't worth the bother, especially given CTA's problems these days...