Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Martin Baumann

When CDOT 1640 to 1646 (even only) became MNCR 6234 to 6240 (even only) was the HEP generator removed?

Have any of the cars from the Spuyten Duyvil wreck been returned to service or formally retired?
Last edited by Martin Baumann on Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by DutchRailnut

yes the HEP sets were out of service for a few years, they were removed and stack duct removed, and seats installed.
HEP was removed on transfer, remodeling was done during mid life overhaul in western new york.
I believe 5 out of 7 are still in Harmon and tied up by legal dept till all dust is settled, only two cars I believe were returned to service, I am sure someone will correct me
  by Backshophoss

Are there any pics of these cars(CDOT1640-1646) showing where the genset was installed?
Remember seeing a MN B23-7 with a pair of these cars layed up at Waterbury.(from the I-84 bridge EB)
  by DutchRailnut

The Volvo Penta Gen set was located on right side (middle) one window had air intake duct and muffler pipe behind it (like RDC) with exhaust sticking through the roof.
Both Gen sets were damaged by individuals who should not have been allowed to touch them.
  by Ridgefielder

DutchRailnut wrote:The Volvo Penta Gen set was located on right side (middle) one window had air intake duct and muffler pipe behind it (like RDC) with exhaust sticking through the roof.
Both Gen sets were damaged by individuals who should not have been allowed to touch them.
What was it like riding in those cars with the generator running? I'd think there would be issues with noise and vibration no matter how well the compartment was insulated.
  by NH2060

Ridgefielder wrote:
DutchRailnut wrote:The Volvo Penta Gen set was located on right side (middle) one window had air intake duct and muffler pipe behind it (like RDC) with exhaust sticking through the roof.
What was it like riding in those cars with the generator running? I'd think there would be issues with noise and vibration no matter how well the compartment was insulated.
+1. I think I only ever rode in them once on SLE and by that time they had long had the Geeps in service so there was no need for the HEP units to be running.
  by DutchRailnut

even the F7's were retrofitted by CDOT with HEP units.
  by MACTRAXX

Dutch and Everyone:

This is the former PATrain equipment that is being discussed here am I right?

If so are these the two cab cars that were equipped with generators?

Where are these cars and the two FP7s today and how long ago did CDOT retire them?

As for the cars that were in the Spuyten Duyvil wreck when the legal matters are resolved how many
of these can be restored for service and which ones will be written off?

MACTRAXX
  by H.F.Malone

Passenger cars, including cab cars: sold to Adirondack Scenic RR about 2001-2002, subsequently sold by ADK to Norfolk Southern about 2010, most cars now rebuilt for NS present-day excursion service.

F7m locos from CDOT to RMNE, stored at NAUG from 2000 to 2011, sold to loco broker, then to Galveston (TX) Transportation Museum and repainted as "Santa Fe" red and silver locos, now on display at Galveston. Locos were originally Southern Pacific/T&NO units.
  by chrisf

MACTRAXX wrote:Dutch and Everyone:

This is the former PATrain equipment that is being discussed here am I right?
There were 4(?) Bombardier coaches built new with HEP generators in them. Those are the 1640-1646 cars.
  by NH2060

DutchRailnut wrote:even the F7's were retrofitted by CDOT with HEP units.
That would explain how they were the only other engines other than the Geeps and P40s to be used with the Constitution Liners as seen here:
http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo ... ine%20East" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
chrisf wrote:There were 4(?) Bombardier coaches built new with HEP generators in them. Those are the 1640-1646 cars.
Correct. 1640 "Uncas", 1642 "Cedar Hill", 1644 "Eli Whitney", and 1646 "Governor Jonathan Trumbull"; As listed here: http://www.cwrr.com/Lounge/Feature/ccr/ccr.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;