Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by zmuzak

On routes where there are two Metra locomotives pulling a train (usually a long express), is the reason for more power or to have a spare locomotive on the line in case another engine breaks down?

Thanks.

by metraRI

The main reason is just to have back up power on the district in case something fails at the outlying yard. There doesn't appear to be any logic to which set gets double headed, its usually not on the longest set for the district and the set double headed can change often, as it does on BNSF.

by MetraF40C607

Logic works on the MILW-W. 2237 is the double-header. It's the longest train and keeps the tightest schedule. 10 cars.

by Milwaukee_F40C

In addition, there is usually a back up locomotive available at each terminal that can be sent out if needed.

by MetraBNSF

Several years ago an edition of On the Bi-Level indicated that the last set out of the yard is usually the one that gets the double header. Such is the case on BNSF, where train #1277, a 10 car Naperville express is the last BNSF set out of 14th St.

by doepack

MetraBNSF wrote:Several years ago an edition of On the Bi-Level indicated that the last set out of the yard is usually the one that gets the double header
Western Ave seems to follow this practice as well; on the Milw/NCS, equipment for 2237 (W) and 2143 (N) usually runs with two units, and are among the last sets leaving the yard in the afternoon. I've seen double-heading at times on NCS, but I'm not sure what regular trains they'd be assigned to.

On UP/W, trains 41 & 71, plus the inbound counterparts 18 & 22 will get an extra unit, although not every day; it's one or the other. But doubleheading practices are a little different on UP; while the intention of keeping a spare unit at an outlying yard is still the main reason, it doesn't necessarily apply to the last set out the yard; rather, it can also be done to enable better equipment manipulation at OTC. Case in point: UP/NW train 625 to Harvard, a nine-car set, always runs with two units. This is because after it arrives back to OTC as 658, the lead locomotive detaches, then the second unit + five cars detach, and are routed onto another track in the terminal for an outbound NW run (think it's 661). Meanwhile, the first unit that detached from the original set then backs into the terminal to hook onto the remaining four cars in the terminal, which then becomes UP/W train 67, returning as 70...

by metraRI

I don't think SWS or RI follow this practice either... #406/413 on RI run in the middle of both evening and afternoon rush hours. SWS's double header makes one inbound trip in the morning, which is the last to leave 179th.. but makes several round trips in the afternoon. For a while before the New Starts were completed, Metra got rid of SWS's double header completely.

by chuchubob

Here are some two engine photos for illustration.
116 and 113
404 and 195
403 and 196

Re:

by MetraBNSF

metraRI wrote:The main reason is just to have back up power on the district in case something fails at the outlying yard. There doesn't appear to be any logic to which set gets double headed, its usually not on the longest set for the district and the set double headed can change often, as it does on BNSF.
Double headers on BNSF have changed once again. At least for the afternoon assignment train #1247 has 2 engines. METX403 was pulling an M and 9 cars. This is the only two engine set on the line running right now.
  by metraRI

Nothing has changed on SWS or RI... 47th Street has kept train #413 double headed for years without changing. Its interesting that BNSF changes its double headed consist to rapidly.
  by MetraBNSF

An interesting occurance on BNSF last night. One of the late evening cycles picked up a second engine at some point during its run. During the rush hour train #1243 went out with METX188 leading, cab cars 8597 and 8586. At the completion of #1243's run in Aurora, the set is cut from 11 to 6 cars at Hill and becomes train 1288/1289/1294/1295/1324/1325. Between 1294 and 1295's runs, my guess is METX198 was sent out from 14th St to attach to the set as I saw 1295 at Rt. 59 double headed. My guess is at the end of the night when that set was reattached at Hill, that 11 car set went in double headed. Does this happen on other lines where a set that does multiple cycles picks up a second engine at some point even if there's no apparant problems? I'm also guessing that maybe an engine crapped out at Hill and a second engine had to be sent out so it can be attached to do the morning run (yesterday METX214 crapped out on train #1251, maybe METX198 was sent out to help 214 for this morning's rush).
  by metraRI

I have not noticed this on RI or SWS, usually a trouble engine will be put on the double header to begin with. BNSF also had some cancellations this morning... 214 again?
  by MetraBNSF

If 214 had problems this morning trains 1204/1205/1252 would have been affected. I didn't see what was cancelled this morning.

Yesterday 403 was leading an M and 9 cars on train 1247. This afternoon that train rated a single M for power. And 198, which led 188 on last night's late cycle was on train 1277 today, leading 201.

Seems like BNSF is changing double headed sets daily, if not hourly :wink: <scratching head>
  by doepack

MetraBNSF wrote:Does this happen on other lines where a set that does multiple cycles picks up a second engine at some point even if there's no apparant problems?

Most weeknights, UP/W trains 47 and 62 will run with one unit, then have another unit tacked on to the point at OTC for it's return trip to Elburn as 71. But since 41 already runs with two units most days, not sure why another double-headed set is sent out, unless there's some logistical, or fuel related reasons for doing so...
  by endofthelineaurora

MetraBNSF wrote:An interesting occurance on BNSF last night. One of the late evening cycles picked up a second engine at some point during its run. During the rush hour train #1243 went out with METX188 leading, cab cars 8597 and 8586. At the completion of #1243's run in Aurora, the set is cut from 11 to 6 cars at Hill and becomes train 1288/1289/1294/1295/1324/1325. Between 1294 and 1295's runs, my guess is METX198 was sent out from 14th St to attach to the set as I saw 1295 at Rt. 59 double headed. My guess is at the end of the night when that set was reattached at Hill, that 11 car set went in double headed. Does this happen on other lines where a set that does multiple cycles picks up a second engine at some point even if there's no apparant problems? I'm also guessing that maybe an engine crapped out at Hill and a second engine had to be sent out so it can be attached to do the morning run (yesterday METX214 crapped out on train #1251, maybe METX198 was sent out to help 214 for this morning's rush).
1294 was probably sent to 14th St after discharging passengers at CUS but before departing as 1295 to pick up the engine. It was likely set over at the Hill Yard after 1325 arrived in Aurora. Pretty unlikely an 11 car train had 2 motors just because of the length of the train and that some of the platforms are shorter.