• Turboliners Move

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by liftedjeep

Fantastic shots Matt! Thanks for sharing

This might be a long shot, but is there any way to get a solid heads up on when the move tonight would take place? I may make an attempt to get out for some video if possible.
Ben
Last edited by liftedjeep on Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by trainster78

Second set being moved this weekend? I'd like to head out for it.
  by mtuandrew

I hadn’t realized how much those coaches just look French/continental rather than Canadian/American. Hard to describe, but the proportions just don’t look right.
  by liftedjeep

I stopped at Holmesburg Junction along the Northeast Corridor on my way home from work this evening. At about 22:15, the Turboliner move came through. I shot video with my cellphone.

https://youtu.be/AMDpN-DWwbo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ben
  by Matt Johnson

Still a beautiful looking train, even faded and in tow. It really saddens me that Amtrak won't even preserve a single set. I honestly regret that I lack the financial resources to acquire and preserve one.
  by Frank

All I can say is: Good Riddance to Bad Rubbish! I didn't hear many good things about them. I always wondered, why did Amtrak keep them on property for so many years even though they weren't using them?
  by Matt Johnson

I had communications from people apparently in the know indicating that there were various attempts to find a use for them, but apparently nothing came to fruition. One person claimed that Amtrak wanted the spare coaches and parts that were up in Scotia, NY but NYDOT apparently just wanted them to go away. I think when those were scrapped, the hope for any sort of resurrection of the equipment died. There were good things about them from a passenger perspective (large windows, smooth ride) but maybe not so much from an operational perspective. And of course they had fresh new seats, carpeting, etc. Hate to see that kind of waste, but alas, sometimes the government does things that almost turn me toward the conservative/libertarian side!

https://dailygazette.com/article/2008/1 ... Supersteel" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by trainster78

So when is the second set being moved?
  by Gilbert B Norman

Well Mr. Johnson, at least your immediately linked material was clearly labeled Opinion.

Any other projects from that facility considered taxpayer rip-offs?

Super Steel has done subcontract fabrication in the past for Nippon Sharyo's Rochelle plant - namely cars built for METRA, however that work was done at a facility of theirs at Milwaukee.

Nothing has come to my attention that work was faulty.
  by planespotting

Nice catch Ben and thank you for sharing! Can't wait to see the Adams Yard photos from folks. Did you use a scanner to catch the move? What do the dispatchers typically call a train like this over the scanner? "Amtrack Special [INSERT NUMBER]?"
  by liftedjeep

planespotting wrote:Nice catch Ben and thank you for sharing! Can't wait to see the Adams Yard photos from folks. Did you use a scanner to catch the move? What do the dispatchers typically call a train like this over the scanner? "Amtrack Special [INSERT NUMBER]?"
Thank you very much!

Because I was working all day, I had none of my usual "train gear" with me (camera & scanner). Fortunately, my buddy was live sending me texts on the train's whereabouts as they came through on his Facebook feed. That gave me ample time to get to Holmesburg after work and scout out a well lit location.

As far as I know, this would have been labeled as an Amtrak "special move". The train's symbol was "Amtrak KP716", I believe.

Also, I've been told Adams Yard is very photo inaccessible to the general public. And the Turboliners will more than likely get buried somewhere within the yard.
Ben
  by planespotting

Thanks, Bob. I think the lesson for me is that I've got to get on Facebook as it seems like more people are tracking special moves on the NEC there! Please tell your friend to share the wealth on Railroad.net and let us know when the next move is happening. :-)

Regarding Adams yard, it all depends on what track they park on. The NEC mainline runs right past there and any person that commutes into NYC from Trenton or Hamilton should be able to get some decent video or pics (sport mode) as they pass by on NJ Transit, particularly if they are sitting on the upper level of a bi-level.

Six years ago I saw an old Santa Fe coach car being scrapped right there in Adams Yard on the yard track next to the mainline for all to see so you never know!
  by mtuandrew

One could photograph North Adams Yard from the Adams Lane overpass approaches, at least as of 6 years ago. Not a great angle, but sufficient to get a head-on view with a decent lens. (And if you go, get some wings at the North Brunswick Pub for me!)
  by FCM2829

honestly regret that I lack the financial resources to acquire and preserve one.
Yeah, it’s really too bad, they do look cool.Awhile back someone contacted me about trying to save one of the unrebuilt ones up in NY for a static display, possibly on the high line. I told him if he had$50,000, for a start that’d get him a worn-out trainset that he would need to move off the property in 30 Days. By rail, it’d need another $10k at least in airbrake work to go anywhere, and that’s with a real sympathetic ear at Pan Am/CSX, and don’t forget the insurance & mech inspection.

Needless to say, he declined.
  by trainster78

I’ve been through Adams a few times on a NJT multilevel and it’s a decent view, despite the yard building blocking most of it. I’ve seen a few old 90s coaches/baggage’s and a MHC there, sometimes a GP15.