Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

by Highball

I need an opinion as to which direction is better for travelling through the Rockies, such that would afford the best scenic highlights, in daylight.

My tentative trip is planned for late September, starting from Calgary and / or Vancouver.

I realize Calgary is not served by Via.......perhaps Jasper would be my base for boarding / departure.

Thanks.

by marquisofmississauga

I have made the trip many times in all seasons and I can't honestly say which direction I prefer if the train is on time. If departing Vancouver on VIA you have a better chance of being on time than if you travel westbound from Edmonton or Jasper. Although most trains are on time, a delay of only an hour or two westbound can significantly reduce your daylight viewing in the mountains. The timing is "padded" so even if you depart Jasper two hours late you might arrive in Vancouver on time. This happened to me a few years ago. Because of the late departure from Jasper, the dinner sittings started late (and as we boarded at Jasper there was no choice of sitting) and the third call wasn't until 10:00 p.m. But we arrived in Vancouver on time after a rather rough night on board.

Because of the latitude, daylight lasts quite long in the summer. On one July trip we noticed it was still dusk at 10:30 - 11:00. In the winter, however, it will be dark at about 4:00. So in winter, an eastbound trip would be much better than westbound. Even if you are a few hours late, the viewing of the mountains will be better.

by Highball

Thanks for the information, Marquisofmississauga, much appreciated.

I am most likely to choose eastbound, to Jasper.

Is the scenary, Jasper to Edmonton, the " foothills " before the Rockies ?
  by Buck-Eyes

If you can go during the summer, say June 20th - you can enjoy 20 hours of daylight!!!
  by jp1822

There's pretty descent scenery from Jasper to Edmonton. East of Jasper - you are still in the Rocky Mountains and then enter the foothills so to speak. I would try to board in Vancouver and make the trip all the way to Edmonton if you can. However, it's a beatiful drive on the Icefield Parkway between Jasper and Banff. Only problem is - you are in the car - and not on the train!