Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by Olton Hall

Bringing back a topic from the old boards. There has been a lot of news about the renovations are about to begin at the Trenton Station. The found $4 million of the $45 million to do the job. Does anyone know if they there is a funding source for the remaining $41 million or will they just through some bandages on the platforms and call it quits for a few years until they find the money?

by AKelley728

The editorial in today's Trenton Times states that 14.75 million is coming from Federal funding, with the rest coming from the State transportation fund.

http://www.nj.com/editorials/times/inde ... 151003.xml

by JLo

Talk about a waste. The current station is fine. Put in some elevators, improve the waiting area and put a new brick facade on it for about $10 million. It is not particularly nice, but $45 million should be used on MOM or equipment, or something of tangible benefit.

by mcmannors

Since the River LINE is bringing in thousands upon thousands of new riders to Trenton Station, I guess NJ Transit feels the need to "spruce it up" a bit! ;-)

by TAMR213

Im gonna have to agree with JLo. The money could be better spent somewhere else, for example MOM, W. Trenton, the Cut-off, or something of the sort. If they are doing it because of the riverLINE, I say, let it prove itself first, then upgrade if its warrented. Kind of like what I heard about what they plan on doing with the Cut-off (if it ever gets of the ground), but instead of limited numbers of trains, with a station. Same idea though.

by JLo

This has nothing to do with the River Line and everything to do with political favoritism. NJ wants a "class" station for its capital.

by GandyDancer

JLo: NJ wants a "class" station for its capital.
NJT should decorate the station to look like either a bank (for how our politicans steal from the state budget for their own businesses, friends and families) or as a prison (for where they should all end up).

by Mudvalve

I have never seen Trenton Station, except for what I view from a train window. I can tell that the platforms could use some work. 45 mil sounds high, but then again we are talking about government.
  by ChancellorOfTheExchequer

Judging from the circa-1900 views available on the website attached below, it looks like Trenton lost a fairly distinguished structure when the station was "renovated" in the early 1970s. I've been using the current dump for nearly 30 years, and I welcome the rebuilding.

http://www.geocities.com/jerseyties/tragedy.html

by nick11a

I railfanned down to Trenton two weeks ago. It wasn't what I hoped. Not bad but not great. It definitely could use some fixing up though.

by jdelgrosso

They are gonna rebuild the bathrooms right? Cause they are seriously nasty.

by Mark Schweber

This was on the same page as the link given earlier for a picture of the old Trenton Station. It struck me as an interesting story:

From the Trenton Times, Trenton, NJ-August 10, 1892

a story of the death of our ancestor, William Pippen:
TWO MEN KILLED

William Pippin and Harcourt Payran Met Their Death To-day,

KILLED ON THE PENNA. R.R.

While Driving Over the Track at Hutchinson's Crossing the Long

Branch Express Struck Their Buggy and Hurled it High in the Air-

Both Men Died Instantly-The Horse Injured so Badly it Had to be

Shot.

The Long Branch express train No.295, on the Pennsylvania Railroad,

which arrives here at 10:55, struck and killed two men this morning at Hutchinson's crossing, just this side of the Bear Swamp. One of them was William Pippen, the well-known livery -man, of Perry street, and the other was Harcourt Payran, son of Samuel Payran, who keeps a harness store at the corner of Perry and Broad streets.

The two men started out this morning to gather huckleberries and took along their shot guns in case any game came across their path. They drove out in a buggy and when they reached the crossing they did not take the precaution to look out for trains, but drove out on the tracks and before they knew it the train was upon them.

The locomotive's whistle gave a wild shriek, but it was too late. The engine struck the carriage squarely and hurled it high in the air, killing both men instantly and so badly injuring the horse that it had to be shot.

The bodies were badly mangled, but not beyond recognition. The engineer at once reversed the engine and stopped the train and the bodies were picked up, put on board and conveyed to the Clinton street station, from which place they were conveyed to the morgue.

Coroner Coutier viewed the remains and will order an inquest.

by Tom V

I think it's important right now to focus on the existing infastructure of the Rail road and bringing it into the 21st Century rather than putting all the money towards expansion while the busiest stations crumble and continue to put the worst face on a good rail road.

There will be plenty of time to expand the NJ Transit network, right now I would focus on improving and expanding stations and upgrading tracks, bridges etc..

First..

Metropark is one of NJ Transit's busiest stations, aswell as Amtrak's. However the nicest feature of Metropark is the Parking garage, the platforms are literally crumbling and there's no protection from the elements save some heat lamps on the platforms.

They should rebuild the Metropark facility to include..

Island Platforms, new "head house" station, glass enclosed waiting areas on the platforms that include bathrooms.

Island platforms should improve the service at the station for both Amtrak and NJ Transit.

The same should be done for Trenton..

New Island platforms, new over head concourse with modern escalators and elevators to the platforms. A new station with modern facilities, and Amtrak baggage check.

Trenton and Metro Park should look more like Stamford Ct's station.

by ryanov

There is a very good artist's rendition at Trenton station of what the new station will look like. Glass and brick, looking a lot like some of the newer constructions at UMD and Rutgers. Nice looking, though. The work, according to the sign, is destined to take place in the Fall of 2006.