Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by JamesT4

Springfield finally passed a bill to fund the RTA (CTA, Pace, Metra), and to be singed by the Gov. Rod Blagojevich with one promise from Blagojevich to give seniors free rides.

Article from the Chicago Tribune:
Governor holds up transit funding to get free rides for seniors
By Ray Long and Jeffrey Meitrodt | Tribune staff reporters
5:38 PM CST, January 10, 2008
SPRINGFIELD–State lawmakers today passed a bill to fund Chicago-area mass transit with a sales tax increase, but Gov. Rod Blagojevich said he wouldn't go along until lawmakers agreed to provide free bus and train rides for the state's senior citizens. The governor's unusual move capped a frenetic 24-hour round of legislative negotiating that raised hopes of an agreement to end the monthslong funding fight and avert service cuts and fare hikes scheduled for Jan. 20. But the governor's decision will send the legislation back for further consideration in the House and Senate.
Last edited by JamesT4 on Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by orangeline

Well, its about time!

Blago backpedals on his campaign promise not to raise taxes "on working people" and agrees to allow it but only if senior citizens get to ride free on public transit anywhere in the state.

I'm happy CTA employees won't have to deal with fear of getting a pink slip, unless of course someone throws a last minute monkey wrench into the works.

Of course, this bill does not cover capital improvements -- that's separate legislation yet to be hammered out.

by CHIP72

It's good to hear the Governor wasn't attending a Chicago Blackhawks game when the time came to make a decision on the bill.

by Gilbert B Norman

The "Seniors ride free" program started yesterday with the incumbent governor getting his face on the tube (or flatscreen) resulting from such. This program as implemented represents a squandering of resources - some of which are mine. It is also discriminatory in that is applicable only to Seniors (65+) residing within the six county RTA service area.

If 'we the people" of Illinois choose to afford free mass transportation to Seniors, then that program should have been implemented as an additional benefit of the existing "Circuit Breaker" program. Circuit Breaker affords benefits such as a free driver's license, auto registration, assistance with prescription drugs to Seniors based upon need. The more need established, the greater the benefits.

Recently, however, the "litmus" (need) standards of the program were raised in order to adhere to Federal guidelines arising from the Federal Medicare Part D enactment. Liquid assets became a measuring parameter and this excluded a reasonable number of Seniors. But then, if a Senior has, say, $200K in the bank, is there really need? Such a person was previously eligible for benefits until the Federal guidelines were established.

For myself, I'm 67 and as one can see, I reside in 'the land of the Burlingtons'. I highly doubt if too many Seniors residing in Du Page County are eligible for Circuit Breaker or could otherwise establish "need' for a free METRA ride. But alas, I have applied for my RTA Senior card as I don't believe in looking the gift horse in the mouth. Further, considering that most journeys I make on METRA originate in the afternoon after the ticket window is closed, the RTA card, which essentially becomes a Pass, will enable me to avoid standing in line at the CUS window for a return ticket.

It is estimated that this blanket giveaway will result in a $30M annual revenue shortfall to the three RTA operating agencies (CTA, METRA, PACE) - and they do not get specific funding to cover this shortfall. Problem is that having been enacted, it will be difficult to repeal. "Downstate' Seniors, where there are mass transit systems, will simply have to fume and holler discrimination - and I don't blame them one bit!!!!

Oh well, maybe the Republicans will run somebody other than a sacrificial lamb come 2010; as it appears someone is on their way to anointment as "Governor-for-Life'.

by Gilbert B Norman

My "Seniors Ride Free" pass, applied for at Village Hall on March 7, showed up in the mail either last Saturday or yesterday.

A photo separate from any used on other ID such as your Driver's License is required. I understand that if an applicant goes to RTA Hq @ 165 N Jefferson (near C&NW Station), they will take a suitable "mug shot' without charge.

Nowhere on the Pass does my name appear; probably security concerns.

From reviewing the material sent with the Pass, for use on METRA trains, the Pass is shown to a Conductor. This will prove far more convenient than the previous "drill" of showing both a Driver's License and a Medicare Card both at purchase of a Half Rate as well as at lift on-board. For use on the CTA trains, apparently reading devices have been installed at turnstyles. On busses, it is likely show the pass to the driver, but I had best defer to others more knowledgable of CTA busses than I.

I have no idea regarding Rules of use on PACE busses; I've never ridden one in the forty years I've resided in the Chicago area (you know, us auto dependent suburbanites).

Ironically, I was out in New York over the weekend and took my "poor man's" way to O'Hare and return. I went through three Half-Rate METRA tickets @ $1.90 ea (lost one during the trip - that's why three) and two full rate CTA rides @ $2 ea.

Oh well, look at the $9.70 of expense that could have been avoided had the pass shown up on Friday before I left. Somehow, I think I'll live with the 'sorry 'bout that".

The Symphony comes up later this month; I guess that will be the "inaugural run' for a "freebie METRA".

A system wide joyride of the CTA? sorry, not on my "to do' list.
  by Gilbert B Norman

In a recent editorial, the Chicago Tribune is "echoing" the thoughts I have held ever since the Seniors Ride Free program was inaugurated last year and expressed at my March 18 posting above:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opin ... 6420.story

Brief passage:
A gratifying number of seniors recognized the gesture for what it was: irresponsible pandering. To this day, the Tribune gets a letter or two every week from retirees who say they didn't ask for the freebie and don't need it. Many of them cheerfully admit they're taking advantage of the perk anyway. Who wouldn't? Only a fool would walk into a restaurant that advertised FREE LUNCH and say, "No, thanks, I'd rather pay for mine." Nearly 400,000 seniors have been issued cards that qualify them for free rides.
As I've noted here, I am within the population noted within the brief passage; I don't need it, but I'm not going to look the 'gift horse in the mouth".

Now today during the 5AM hour, WBBM 780 reports that the existing Seniors Ride Free will be eliminated as part of the budget legislation now moving forth in Springfield. It will be replaced with a program limited to Seniors who have established need for such, presumably using the same guidelines set forth by the State's existing Circuit Breaker program.

I'll update this material at such time that I can find a URL link posted by a recognized news source.

addendum: various local recognized news sources are reporting the story. The surprise to me is that Gov. Quinn favors continuation of the program as it exists. Re3gardless of what he personally holds, I would have thought "If it's Blago, it;s got to be bad".

In view of that the median age at this site is likely at best 30, I could well be the only Member here residing in the "six counties' and age 65 or over; Again i would like to see a Seniors Ride Free program but such applying State wide but only for those "in need'. At present, a needy Senior in, say, Decatur does not get a free ride on a city bus, why should I, who is (still) "comfortable plus" in retirement, have a free ride?