• Transfer table at the Morris Park Shops

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Legio X

When was the last time the transfer table at Morris Park was used, and the building right next to it?
  by alcoAL

I have a more general question about Morris Park. I've seen references on various websites about the coaling tower no longer being there. Did I miss something over the past few years? I never heard of it actually being taken down.
Thanks, AL

by krispy

Well, you missed the furor over the coal tower coming down. I can't remember if it was last summer or the summer before, but chunks were coming down and after almost taking out several laborers at the fuel dock, and getting comdemned, it was taken down. Signifigant to railfans and local lirr lore, but dangerous to everyone who worked there.

The destruction of the backshops pretty much ended the need for the transfer table, but it may be still stored servicible. The backshops once fielded TWO transfer tables, and walking down there while they were there was a trip back in time, but it was evident that the facility was crumbling and having Hillside pretty much finished it. I drove by there a year ago to work Dunton and remember seeing steam leak from its base (the transfer table) but don't recall if it was steam powered or if it was electrical and that was merely a steam vent near it.

As always, don't try entering the area as it's a staging area for the Jamaica Station reconstruction/Scaretrain facility and there is someone around to bust your chops 24/7. Even a view on Atlantic Ave may get you a visit, as some may attest to...

by emfinite

Here is a shot of the back shop that I took December 26, 2003. Not sure of what has changed since then.

by dukeoq

Krispey, the table was run using a trolley pole, extended from the operating cab, in the center, to a trolley wire overhead.
JJ Earl