• Train strikes car in Woodmere...

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Clem

They'll be lots more to this story...

by Knife-Switch

And these people want "Quiet Zones"...........?

by Long Island 7285

Yes they do.. lets see bill bords of this wreck hung between woodmere and rockaway. haunging these (i cant say it here) people that is can be them

"You want QUITE ZONES......
PICTURE OF WRECK
Picture YOUR SELF in that CAR"

I Feel bad for the Train Crew and not them Morons that did what they did.

by Long Island 7285

Was this an EB or WB Train.

by Nasadowsk

I don't see what's wrong with quiet zones. First, the engineer can always still use the horn in an emergency, #2, if you stop at the crossing when the gates are down - and almost all crossings on LI are gated* - you won't get hit by a train, horn or no horn. One could argueably say the lack of hoirns, period, might be more effective ultimately - people won't know when the train's comming and be less inclined to take a chance.

Most cars today are very well insulated, and people are often listening to radios or yakking on phones anyway. Laying on a horn all the time just becomes yet another excuse for the NIMBYs...

*Ok, pop quiz - what's the one on the Oyster Bay line?

by AmtrakPhill629

Long Island 7285 Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:23 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes they do.. lets see bill bords of this wreck hung between woodmere and rockaway. haunging these (i cant say it here) people that is can be them

"You want QUITE ZONES......
PICTURE OF WRECK
Picture YOUR SELF in that CAR"

I Feel bad for the Train Crew and not them Morons that did what they did.

I agree with you.

by badneighbor

ungated on OB? the cross walk at the station?

by RPM2Night

Any news on what caused the accident? Did the car drive around the gates...or did the gates fail? Any other details that can be discussed? The newsday article didn't really have much to say.

I agree, the only ungated crossing on the OB line is the cross walk at the station.

by LIRailfan79

I think maybe we should wait until we hear the WHOLE story before we start bashing the victims. for all we know the crossing malfunctioned and it never went down and thats why the car was struck.
don't think it can happen? well it did here in Northport. the gates on Elwood road didn't go down when a train came through and the train hit a car, thankfully the young woman survived. this was sometime last year.
and even if it was their fault no one deserves to be killed or seriously injured just because they were in a rush to get somewhere and made a stupid decision. what they need (and their families need) is compassion and prayers. :(

by NIMBYkiller

If that is the case, than LIRR certainly has to shoulder some of the blame.

by Lirr168

NIMBYkiller wrote:If that is the case, than LIRR certainly has to shoulder some of the blame.
Actually, I don't see why they should have to. After all, when people drive around the gates and get hit they don't shoulder any of the blame; the RR has to pay them off to stay out of court AND they still have to repair the equipment damaged in the collision. Where is the justice in that?

by RetiredLIRRConductor

The car hit the train. Thats right..the front of the train was past the crossing, and the car ran into the side of the train. The car was badly damaged, no serious injuries. The equipment was M1/M3, and shrugged it off. :-)

by Lirr168

LirrConductor wrote:The car hit the train
lol, you don't hear that one too often. Any more details as to how it happened? How do you not notice a train blocking the road?!

by NIMBYkiller

\:

I said the LIRR should shoulder the blame IF the gates weren't working. Perhaps you should pay attention to the whole thread rather than just random statements.