Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by newkirk

This was an unusual train that ran several years ago. It originated at NY Penn and left about 4:44PM on weekends terminating at Hicksville. It was comprised of M-1/3's and had limited stops. If my memory serves me correct, after leaving Penn, it stopped at Jamaica, Mineola (or Westbury) and Hicksville.

Funny thing is, it never connected with anything from the Port Jeff and Ronkonkoma Branches at Hicksville. After passengers left the train, the train returned light heading west. There doesn't seem to be a #5200 on the Huntington Branch today.

What was the purpose of this shortened limited stop train ?

by M1 9147

Bill, I remember it well. Why was because of a gap of service in between trains at that time. Also trains to Ronkonkoma then only stopped at Hicksville, then highballed to Jamaica. Huntington trains were locals except ones that connected Port Jeff trains which stopped at Hicksville, Westbury, and Mineola only. This stopped when trains from Huntington west of Hicksville stop only at Westbury, Mineola, and Merillon Ave., while Ronkonkoma trains stop at Carle Place, Mineola, and New Hyde Park. The only expresses are equipment moves to Port Jeff, revenue runs to Oyster Bay, and select Montauk branch trains which operate there. The train was actually 7200 which stopped at Mineola, Westbury, and Hicksville only. This ended in 2000 when the new hourly services on weekends were made.