Railroad Forums 

• Tied Down Trains?

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1198669  by JBConn

I have been following the recent news from up north and am confused. I am not a railroader but I thought I had some idea of how a train is left when not crewed.

I put this thread here for two reasons
- I would like to know how PAR does this, and;
- I do not wish to imply that anyone did or did not do what they were supposed to do in the case of any particular event.
If the moderators want to move this, please feel free.

I thought that there are two types of brakes on train cars, mechanical (ratchet wheel on each car) and pneumatic, (or electro-pneumatic) controlled from the locomotive. The latter is used to stop a moving train and the former is used like a parking brake on your car to keep the stopped train from moving. I have seen cuts of cars positioned in a yard, and before the locomotive departs, heard lots of repeated "ratcheting" sounds that I assume are individual car brakes are set.

Assuming this description is correct, do the mechanical and pneumatic brakes use the same brake shoes on each car?

Are there rules based on grade and train length how many brakes should be set in a given situation? Is there a test? Are there situations where the air brakes set from the locomotive alone are considered sufficient? Using the car analogy If I am in my car on a flat street and am stopping only to drop my kid off at the gym, not getting out myself, I don't set my parking brake, but if I'm parking overnight on a steep hill, I'll set the parking brake and turn my wheels to the curb just like they taught us in drivers' ed.

I know from building models that modern cars have a reservoir tank for air and an operating valve and a brake cylinder on each car. I thought that release of air pressure supplied by the locomotive to the train line caused brakes to be applied using pressure from the reservoir tank. This would seem to imply that simply shutting down a running locomotive would not by itself cause air brakes to release, rather the train line would need to be pressurized.

Does PAR publish their rules on this in a document available to the public?
 #1198683  by newpylong

Your basic understanding is spot on.

Yes, they use the same brake shoes. The hand brake is in line with the brake cylinder, so in effect, when you turn the hand brake wheel, the piston is manually extended and the shoes applied.

Air brake rules:

http://www.guilfordrail.com/Bulls/Bulls ... 121104.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The last time I checked, the FRA rule stated a sufficient number of hand brakes must be applied (and left it up to the RR's to define this), but a hand brake efficiency test is now mandatory.

Correct, shutting down a running engine supplying air to a train will not immediately release the brakes. Each cylinder would need to bleed off (the air keeps the brake piston out) before the brakes are released, and this can take days.
 #1198693  by jaymac

newpylong-
Thanks for the information and its reminder that being on the railroad is no game.