Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1260116  by JoeG

I want to take a trip from Suffern to Boonton and return the same day. The first thing I see when I look up the trains on the NJT website is a train that leaves Suffern at 12:54. The routing the website shows is, take the Main/Bergen train to Secaucus, transfer to a train going to Newark Broad, then wait for the train to Boonton. So, my first question is, the better route is to take the Main/Bergen train to Hoboken and then get the (same) Boonton train. If I did this route, would it affect the ticket price, since I wouldn't be going through SEC? (Then again, I don't know how to do this with the TVM...)
The bigger question is the return trip. According to the website, there are no return trips the same day if I take the trip starting in Suffern at 12:54. This isn't true. You just take a westbound to Denville and then get on an eastbound M&E. Would the conductor of the westbound accept the Boonton-Suffern ticket?
The final question is similar to the first. When I get to Denville, some trains I might take go to Hoboken and others require a change at SEC for a Main/Bergen train. Will my Boonton-Suffern ticket get me through the gate at SEC? And, if I get a Hoboken train, will I have a problem with the Main/Bergen conductor?
 #1260153  by baldwr

JoeG wrote: The routing the website shows is, take the Main/Bergen train to Secaucus, transfer to a train going to Newark Broad, then wait for the train to Boonton. So, my first question is, the better route is to take the Main/Bergen train to Hoboken and then get the (same) Boonton train. If I did this route, would it affect the ticket price, since I wouldn't be going through SEC? (Then again, I don't know how to do this with the TVM...)
You can really do whatever you want... If the outbound train from Suffern arrives in Hoboken before the Boonton Line train departs, I would connect in Hoboken. The fare is cheaper ($13.00 via SEC, $10.25 via HOB). Using the MyTix app, it asks you for the via point after you enter the stations. You simply select "via Secaucus" or "via Hoboken". The vending machines should offer a similar option.

According to the schedules I see, to connect in Hoboken you would need to take the 12:16 out of Suffern... The 12:54 gets in 5 min after the Boonton Line train leaves - just a heads up.
JoeG wrote:The bigger question is the return trip. According to the website, there are no return trips the same day if I take the trip starting in Suffern at 12:54. This isn't true. You just take a westbound to Denville and then get on an eastbound M&E. Would the conductor of the westbound accept the Boonton-Suffern ticket?The final question is similar to the first. When I get to Denville, some trains I might take go to Hoboken and others require a change at SEC for a Main/Bergen train. Will my Boonton-Suffern ticket get me through the gate at SEC? And, if I get a Hoboken train, will I have a problem with the Main/Bergen conductor?

Technically, I think you are supposed to travel in the direction of Hoboken / Secaucus just because that is how all tickets are written up for transfer points. Given the limited options on the return, however, I do not think any Conductor would have an issue with you taking a Boonton Line train to say Denville / Dover and transferring there to an M&E train. I have done this before, but it was a long time ago and a much simpler time (like 1994) - I had to get from Mountain Lakes to Maplewood via Dover (ahhh... the life of a teenager without a drivers license).

Your Boonton Suffern ticket will only get you through the gate at Secaucus if you purchased the return ticket "via Secaucus". Remember, there are no round trip excursions anymore, so you can always purchase your return ticket different than your outbound ticket (i.e. outbound via Hoboken, return via Secaucus).

In the end, a ticket via Secaucus gives you the most flexibility. Since it is more expensive, a conductor will not care if you decide to transfer in Hoboken instead. A "via Secaucus" ticket is valid via Secaucus OR Hoboken. A "via Hoboken" ticket is ONLY valid via Hoboken. Personally, I would go via Hoboken if I knew the connection would work out. On the outbound it is one less transfer and saves $2.75. If possible on the return that is another $2.75...

Lastly, I would highly recommend the Embark NJT app... It is awesome at finding those connections that NJT does not show, including the returns from Boonton you are looking for. I have found this tool useful over the years. Very helpful when planning an out-of-the-ordinary NJT trip; saves having to line up several paper timetables.

Hope this helps...
 #1260193  by JoeG

Thanks very much for the help! I see there is also an Embark for NYC Subways. I'm also grateful that you pointed out that I read the timetable wrong.
 #1260253  by kilroy

I recommend the Embark app, great tool.