Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by ryanbytes

I was on the train today and while I was waiting for it to leave I started looking at all the ticket punch bits and pieces on the floor of the car. It started me wondering about the patterns and if they're the same as the punch patterns used way back in the beginning days of commuter service in the Chicago area. Does anyone have an idea? I'll even take a guess! :)
  by doepack

There are still a few older conductors working UP that began their careers with CNW, so it's likely that they would be the ones using the older ticket punchers. Also, a quick Google search turned up holepunch.com, see if any of these designs look familiar:

http://www.holepunch.com/newdesign.html
  by ryanbytes

The linked designs don't but the larger selection on the main site has many that I've seen.
  by Engineer Spike

Each punch has a distinctive shaped punch mark. This was it can be determined which conductor or collector cut the ticket. One of the scams used by passengers is to pick up a punched ticket from the floor. They then say that one of the other crew members just punched it, but this passenger is looking for a seat in another car. It helps to know the punch marks of the other crew members. This way the scm would be up...no one on this crew has that punch mark. In my case, my punch was an upper case "E", while my conductor's was a "X".
The company can audit the punch marks vs. the remitted receipts. There have been some dishonest employees fired for punching one fare, charging more, and pocketing the difference.