• Thread For Posting Heritage Unit Locations

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by EricL

Kind of surprised that it hasn't been mentioned here yet, but I've been told that #145 sustained minor damage in a grade crossing accident in San Antonio. A quick perusal of trainorders.com affirms this.
AMTK 145 was involved in a fatal grade crossing crash and sustained damage to the pilot plow and the engineer side ladder
  by daylight4449

Oh crap.... Could things get worse?
  by Matt Johnson

Considering that it's fairly minor cosmetic damage, I'd say the answer is yes!
  by HBLR

I am curious if any of these locomotives will find their way to philadelphia for national train day 2011?
  by chuchubob

HBLR wrote:I am curious if any of these locomotives will find their way to philadelphia for national train day 2011?
I read somewhere (can't find it now, and either Amtrak's website makes finding info on National Train Day difficult or I'm experiencing an extended "senior moment") that they will all be on display in Washington. As soon as I read it, I booked my trip from Philly to Washington.
  by AMTK1007

HBLR wrote:I am curious if any of these locomotives will find their way to philadelphia for national train day 2011?
As bob indicated, I belive all 5 units are to be in Washington.
  by Jers2709

From the National Train Day press release:

40th Anniversary “Exhibit Train” (Washington, D.C.)
Washington, D.C.’s National Train Day event will serve to launch the nationwide tour of the 40th anniversary “exhibit train.” The exhibit will consist of two locomotives, three renovated baggage cars displaying historic advertising, uniforms, photos, and other memorabilia, and an Amtrak Bistro car to be used as a retail center and for various exhibits.
  by DutchRailnut

locomotives on exibit train will be P40 #822 and neutered F40ph 406 ( no traction motors)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvrNMJTQGc4
  by Tadman

Bro, time for a perspective check.

1. The F40 was headed for the scrap pile but an innovative mechanical engineer figured out that it would be a cost-effective and useful baggage and/or cab car. It's described as "neutered" because it has no traction motors or prime mover. It could be razor blades.

2. As for the "could it get any worse" comment about a minor grade crossing incident for 145, yes, it could get way worse. People could've died. The locomotive could've sustained major damage. A hazardous material spill could've tainted groundwater feeding a stream with endangered species...

Look, a railroad is a business, not a fantasy land. They're here to earn a return on the sizable investment that people have put in, not entertain or delight us. Frankly, a railroad isn't even here to carry things - imagine that! The railroad is only here to earn the biggest return on investment. If that means selling the land because it's worth more as a skyscraper than a mainline, they'll do it. Most of the bankrupt railroads that were put into Conrail could give their shareholders some return because all the non-rail or abandoned ROW's were sold for handsome money. Morning Sun books was started with financing based on the publisher's Lehigh Valley stock post-bankruptcy.
  by nickrapak

Tadman wrote:2. As for the "could it get any worse" comment about a minor grade crossing incident for 145, yes, it could get way worse. People could've died. The locomotive could've sustained major damage. A hazardous material spill could've tainted groundwater feeding a stream with endangered species...
Unfortunately, people did die: http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local_ ... 021189.php
  by daylight4449

nickrapak wrote:
Tadman wrote:2. As for the "could it get any worse" comment about a minor grade crossing incident for 145, yes, it could get way worse. People could've died. The locomotive could've sustained major damage. A hazardous material spill could've tainted groundwater feeding a stream with endangered species...
Unfortunately, people did die: http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local_ ... 021189.php
Are you sure that this is the crash we're talking about? Last i checked, 145 isn't on the west coast.
  by nickrapak

daylight4449 wrote:
nickrapak wrote:
Are you sure that this is the crash we're talking about? Last i checked, 145 isn't on the west coast.
This was the news article linked from the aforementioned Trainorders post, so I assume this was the incident.
  by daylight4449

daylight4449 wrote:Oh crap.... Could things get worse?
Things got worse. I hate being right.
  by Tadman

Rule #1: Things can always get worse.