Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

by hsr_fan

How would the route best be described? Is it largely rural? Any particularly scenic locations?

Do the LRC equipped trains operate at 100 mph for extended periods of time? I assume they must in order to maintain the high average speed that they do. How do the LRC coaches compare in ride quality to Amfleet or Acela Express?

by marquisofmississauga

After perhaps hundreds of trips on this route, I'm not too impressed with its scenic qualities. It is indeed largely rural. The south side of the train east of Toronto gives good views of Lake Ontario. Around Cobourg and Dorval there is some parallel running with the CPR on the north side.

The F40s are limited to 90 or 95 mph, but the P42s can do 100 mph in a few places. The LRCs generally ride fairly well, especially when compared to Amfleet. (I've not travelled on Acela.) As with all railway coaches, sitting over the trucks can be a bit rough, but on a recent trip we had the "four-seater" right over the wheels and it was much smoother than the previous times we have sat there on this route. Perhaps CN has done some much-needed track work.
  by jp1822

That's why I miss the overnight train (last known as the Enterprise) that used to run between Toronto and Montreal. Once you have seen the route in daylight, it's fine, but then when you want to do the route again just to get from point A to point B and not lose out on that much - take the overnight train as your hotel on wheels. It's an option that is sorely missed by this rider, especially connecting with the VIA's Canadian

by George L.

Unfortunately, the route is not very scenic at all, but it can be quite pleasant nonetheless (now that they have wireless in Comfort class, I find the voyage passes even faster than usual).

I would strongly suggest that you time your departure with some care. Express trains will get you from Mtl to Toronto in 4.5 hours or less (no. 53, 65, 67), while regular trains will make the same voyage in 5.5 hours (no. 57, 69). The extra hour is occasioned by more stops along the way.

When you book online, you are given the choice of departures.

Happy travels.

by hsr_fan

Well, I think I'll be in Montreal soon, but won't have time on this trip to ride to Toronto. However, I might try to ride an LRC train one or two station stops west and then back again. I'd like to check out a VIA train.

by Ken V

hsr_fan wrote:Well, I think I'll be in Montreal soon, but won't have time on this trip to ride to Toronto. However, I might try to ride an LRC train one or two station stops west and then back again. I'd like to check out a VIA train.
It's too bad you won't have the time to make the trip from Montreal to Toronto after all. From your previous posts I had the impression you had travelled the line before and your saying you'd like to check out a VIA train caught me a bit by surprise.

If you are limited by time you might consider Montreal-(Alexandria)-Ottawa which is under two hours each way and has five round trips daily. The tracks on this line were recently upgraded and have long stretches of 100 mph running too.

by hsr_fan

Ken V wrote: If you are limited by time you might consider Montreal-(Alexandria)-Ottawa which is under two hours each way and has five round trips daily. The tracks on this line were recently upgraded and have long stretches of 100 mph running too.
Cool, thanks! That's a definite possibility. I've never been to Canada before, believe it or not, and I've been meaning to visit Montreal for some time now. My brother suggested going up for a long weekend, so I think we're going to take Amtrak's Adirondack up there.

by CPRTim

Another option for a quick trip is a Montreal-Ottawa-Brockville-Montreal circle. You can find schedules here:

http://www.viarail.ca/download/en_docs_hpdf.html

Ottawa-Brockville is part of the Ottawa-Toronto route and the return from Brockville would be on a Toronto-Montreal train.

Lots of high speed running here too. The CP branch line from Smiths Falls down to Brockville is dark (unsignalled) territory but trains still maintain a steady 95+ mph with the horn almost continually sounding for rural crossings.

It also allows you to cover CN, CP, and VIA owned trackage: Montreal-Ottawa (CN & VIA) Ottawa-Brockville (CN, VIA & CP) Brockville-Montreal (CN).

by MACTRAXX

HSR: The Montreal-Toronto line is 335 miles. Yes-much of it is rural but there are busy towns like Kingston not to mention the suburban areas of MTL and TOR. Back in September of 1985 I spent almost the entire month traveling in Ontario and Quebec. I purchased a 2-week VIA railpass for the corridor for $155 CDN and I enjoyed using VIA-traveling from as far east as Quebec City (a European city in North America in my opinion) and as far west as Sarnia and Windsor with many side trips and stops staying at AYH hostels. If you have time visit Ottawa-a very neat capitol city in my opinion. I enjoyed riding in VIAs trains ranging from RDCs to hot limited-stop LRC service between the major points. My fondest memory was the last day of my pass-I believe it was September 21,1985-I began my day in Quebec City and I traveled to Montreal. I went to McGill College-where the Montreal hostel was located and I inquired about staying-they were booked up solid that night but the next day a group was leaving opening up space. I then decided to make reservations on my pass for a hot Rapido train to TOR and since I did not have a place to stay that night so I reserved a seat on the Cavalier(Remember that train anyone?) to travel overnight to return to Montreal the next morning. I ran around a bit in Toronto knowing that I could not miss this train under any circumstances-my money was tight and I needed to return to Montreal to eventually go back to NYP on Amtrak's Montrealer anyway. - so because the Cavalier left TOR before Midnight,my pass was still covered that last ticket. My stay in Montreal was 10 or so days-thanks to Hurricane Gloria hitting the NE specifically Long Island my return to NY was delayed due to no service for at least 2 days to MON and when I finally got my reserved seat to go south the train was substantially late getting to NYP because of problems such as no signals and grade crossing protection between SPG and NHV-a 15MPH speed restriction. I returned to LI fearing the worst but personally my house had no damage itself but minor tree damage on our property. I will also add that for a time that more than half of LI had no power due to Gloria. According to my family,our power was out for about half a day-perhaps 12 hours-but people we knew living in nearby areas did not have power restored for upwards of 2 weeks! I recall returning to LI on the LIRR seeing some of the damage myself. All in all it was an interesting trip and if you have the time go and enjoy! My only question is how would it be today riding the Renaissance equipment-any opinions? Memories and observations from MACTRAXX

by hsr_fan

I remember Hurricane Gloria...I was in 5th grade, I think, living in Huntington, NY at the time!

Is the Ottawa train station within walking distance to downtown? In photos on railpictures.net, it looks rather remote.

by NS VIA FAN

hsr_fan wrote:Is the Ottawa train station within walking distance to downtown?...........it looks rather remote.
The Ottawa Station is located on the "Transitway" A system of dedicated roads and bridges throughout the city for buses only. Like a light-rail system but without the tracks. The stops are not just a sign post on the corner but full “stations” similar to what you would find on a Light-rail system. There is a stop directly in front of the VIA station reached through a pedway, elevator & stairs to a platform below grade. Buses run every couple of minutes and its only five or six minutes to downtown.

http://www.octranspo.com/maps_menue.htm

(click on Transitway (left column) then "Train" on the list of stations)

If you get a chance, sample the “O-Train”.

http://www.octranspo.com/train_menue.htm

It’s a Bombardier 3-car Diesel “Talent” train running on 5 miles of CPR track between Greenboro and Bayview.every 15 minutes. It’s similar to a Light-Rail system but trains operate according to “Mainline“ rules. There’s even a crossing at grade with the line VIA uses from Ottawa to Smiths Falls and a section of tunnel under Dows Lake.

by hsr_fan

Thanks for the info! I'm definitely going up to Montreal. I'm wondering if a side trip to Quebec City might be a better idea than Ottawa though. I don't know if that's a high speed line or not, but might be a better tourist destination. What do you think?

by Ken V

I've wanted to visit Quebec City again for quite a while. Last time I was there I was just three years old, and don't remember anything at all. I've been to Ottawa many times. Quebec City's walled inner city is very historic and it would be a fine choice if you have the time. I can't say it's a better place for a quick visit than Ottawa since there's a lot both cities have to offer visitors. It would depend very much on your likes and dislikes.

The time to travel to Quebec City is about twice that of Ottawa. The line VIA takes to Quebec City is reported to be more scenic and also has some high speed travel, although it may not allow for 100 mph.

by George L.

I would also highly recommend Quebec City if you want to go somewhere with a little more European flavour. The food, the scenery, the art galleries... And VIA is offering their top business class at a reduced fare until the end of the month, so you can travel in VIA 1 for only $99 (per direction).

by NS VIA FAN

Yes, Quebec City would be an interesting trip with lots of 90-95mph running too. You would also get a chance to sample the new “Renaissance” equipment.

The scenery is similar to that on the run to Ottawa until just before Ste-Foy where you cross the massive Quebec Bridge then wind down off the cliffs into the northern part of the city to approach Palais Station. You will also get a glimpse of the trestle that carries the CN line to Hervey Jct. high above Cap-Rouge.

Palais Station “Gare du Palais” is a beautifully restored Chateau style station with indoor, high-level platforms.

Here’s a link to some photos I took of the station last winter:

http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse. ... id=1760520

Also, don’t miss the former Canadian Pacific “Chateau Frontenac Hotel” It’s a castle like structure on the cliff above the St. Lawrence River. And when you are walking around the old walled city and fortifications remember this is the real thing, not a “Disney” re-creation. A lot of the buildings date from the 1600s.