Railroad Forums 

• Things That Go Bump In The Night

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#275465  by SteelWheels21

I was forwarded this little bit recently. First off, I swear it wasn't me. Secondly, it got me wondering if this stuff has ever happened to any of you guys or if you know someone that has seen something unusual...

--Oregon Bright Blue Flashing Disc

Portland -- I work for the railroad and was riding a railcar into a clear track at 2 AM, when I noticed a blue light out of the corner of my eye on June 27, 2006. The object I saw was a bright blue disc traveling from north to south at a low rate of speed. I immediately stopped the movement of my train. The object then became a brighter shade of blue and began accelerating leaving a short white trail it then flashed brilliantly and seemed to flash out of existence. I know from a lifetime of working nights that I did not see a meteorite it was clearly a blue disc flying on a crystal clear night. The whole experience lasted 4 to 5 seconds. Thanks to Peter Davenport Director National UFO Reporting Center http://www.ufocenter.com/ --

#275497  by Jtgshu

Hahhaah reading that story reminded me of something that happen to myself and my engineer

We were making a turn on the North Jersey Coast Line (NJ) in the Woodbridge area. It was about 2am. We make a turn onto a long straightaway, and start seeing these dancing lights abotu 20 feet above track level. they were going all over the place. We were seriously freaked out. They kept getting brighter and brighter as we got closer. We had no idea WTF it was.

As we go under it, we realize that its got something to do with an overhead passenger walkway. For whatever reason, NJT replaced one of the steel wall panels with a plexiglass piece (we saw it the next day in daylight), and the dancing lights were a reflection of our headlight on the plexiglass - we laughed our asses off!!!

#275509  by Aji-tater

There are several possible explanations:

1. A new management tool for spying
2 The car inspector was trying to get your attention and threw his light
3. Somebody with one of those night-time Frisbees
4. "I TOLD you not to lay that electrical cord across the tracks"
5. Martians have railfans too

Anybody with more?

#275512  by octr202

slchub wrote:Hey there Steel. I'd heard stories about that. Here is a link about some lights down in Arkansas along the tracks:

http://littlerock.about.com/cs/urbanleg ... nlight.htm
I've heard a story like that related from a shortline friend of my father's, this time in the middle of a swampy area on the North Carolina & Virginia RR in North Carolina. There they seemed to theorize that it had something to do with swamp gasses reflecting the light from an approaching train's headlight.

#275630  by JLJ061

Aji-tater wrote:There are several possible explanations:

1. A new management tool for spying
2 The car inspector was trying to get your attention and threw his light
3. Somebody with one of those night-time Frisbees
4. "I TOLD you not to lay that electrical cord across the tracks"
5. Martians have railfans too

Anybody with more?
You forgot the good old CIA answer: It could have been a weather balloon. :-D

#275647  by GOLDEN-ARM

Aliens have a device, that they use on you, that erases your memory, after you are returned, from being abducted. If you are SURE you weren't abducted, you most certainly were!!!!!!!
I wouldn't believe those hacks at the UFO reporting center. I get my info straight from M.U.F.O.N. http://www.mufon.com/
I have the (dis)pleasure of travelling through Roswell, NM, every trip. Believe me, the "truth" IS out there........... :P

#275673  by slchub

I once ran with an engineer in Salt Lake who lined his baseball cap with aluminum foil just in case "they" where reading his thoughts. We passed by some cattle at about 13-15 mph. He said look, those bovine are alien bovine. They always look at you and turn their head to follow the lead motor to ensure you don't attack! Interesting trip I must say. He retired in 2004. You just have to love work!

#289958  by Robert Gift

slchub wrote:I once ran with an engineer in Salt Lake who lined his baseball cap with aluminum foil just in case "they" where reading his thoughts. We passed by some cattle at about 13-15 mph. He said look, those bovine are alien bovine. They always look at you and turn their head to follow the lead motor to ensure you don't attack! Interesting trip I must say. He retired in 2004. You just have to love work!
Wow.
As a MED-Stat paramedic, I have encountered diagnosed paranoid schizophrenics who have worn foil to keep others from "stealing" their thoughts.
Poor Brian paid admission to watch a movie but had to leave because
two girls sitting behind him were stealing his thoughts.

I asked, "Is there something special about YOUR thoughts that others would want to steal them?"
"Seems it would be much easier just to come up with my OWN thoughts than steal yours and have to remember them."
Brian also believes that newscasters on TV can see him watching them.

When asked if I were paranoid schizophrenic, I replied, "No we're not."