• The upcoming orientation and interview session....

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by RPM2Night

I'm going. I spoke to my boss and was able to get out of working tonight. I'm so excited!

If I had to work, I would have probably worked from 2100 tonight to 0900 tomorrow morning...plus a 4 hour drive after that. What a relief to get off instead lol.

by jg greenwood

Good luck Mr. RPM!!!!!!!

by LIRailfan79

good luck, be sure to tell us how it goes.

also, how many people were there.

by RPM2Night

Well, one step closer. The interview went pretty well, I asked some good questions, as well as answering his questions confidently. He recommended me for an upcoming panel interview. I'll post more updates as the happen.

As far as how many people were there, I'd say maybe a good 50 people or so, approximately.

by BMC

Panel means you passed the first cut, did they give you any material?

by LIRailfan79

what are some of the questions you asked?

by EdM

MY info is about 20 years old from a friend who wkd fer LIRR and whos father did also... I am sure there are better qualified people to answer,..... having said that: Do you have a relative working fer the LIRR??? read between those lines... also, my friend lasted as a conductor fer a few years and ran like a rabbit down south somewhere, said the people were driving him crazy.
Also, who in their right mind would want to move from lovely Vt to this area??? I would rather clean cow barns in Vt (again)...... just my thoughts... but good luck and wave to me and my camera as you go by..... Ed

by N340SG

RPM,

Good luck. Glad you made the interview.

I just have to tell you guys this true story, which ties in with this theme.
I had started with the LIRR as a Coach Cleaner.
As part of the rigamarole of moving into the Electrician Apprentice program, I was scheduled to go to medical for a urine test.
The message was relayed to me at home from Babylon Yard. I told the caller I was on vacation. The caller said basically, "Well, I don't know what to tell you. If you want the job, you'll be there."
Annoyed as I was, I intended to go for the test as scheduled.
Well, do you know what major event happened the day of the appointment? Hurricane Gloria! http://www.geocities.com/hurricanene/hu ... gloria.htm
And I was supposed to be on the train headed for Jamaica during the worst part of the storm.
I awaited the inevitable phone call telling me not to come in.
No call was forthcoming. I finally called the RR, the last minute before I would have to leave my house. They informed me that no one was there to test me!! The personnel had left for the day, ahead of the storm!!
(Now, how happy do you think I would have been to travel to Jamaica, while on vacation, to be told to go home and come back another day, and then maybe get stuck on the train somewhere for several hours?)
I told the dude my predicament and pleaded for a high-ranking name to assure me that it was OK that I didn't come in.
He chuckled and gave me his name.

Well, everything turned out all right in the end. The moral of the story is, as Clem indicated, no matter how inane or insane it might be, you have to do what they want if you want the job. There's thousands of other people waiting, and the RR knows it.

Tom

Edit: corrected typo
Last edited by N340SG on Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by RPM2Night

I assume they also respect you more if they see you are willing to make sacrafices for them as well. When I interviewed with the railroad I currently work for my interviewer was very impressed that I was willing to move 280 miles to get the job. I'd imagine that the LIRR recognises similar efforts. For me I have the advantage of living on LI for almost all of my life (almost 25 years) and now, I can show them greater commitment by being willing to move BACK in favor of working for them.