Railroad Forums 

• The Type 8 Discussion to End All Discussions(Type 8 tracker)

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#630056  by dieciduej

I know the MTBF on the Type 8s has gone down, so that is why there are more single car or 7 & 7 trains out and about.

What the Type 8s need is a warm sunny climate or to be tucked under a warm blanket at night. In past years they have packed the tunnels with train sets to keep them out of the cold. Now it seems the only place has been the Brattle Loop and I think five two-car sets, of any combination. North Station yard is also a storage yard but with the portal there I would guess it is not the warmest place.

JoeD
 #630081  by StevieC48

Yea they dont like the cold, I had a friend of mine get overtime at Lechmere overnight sitting with the cars and fireing them up often so they didnt freze. But yea a blanket would solve it lol. :wink:
 #630126  by lockt87

That finally explains why I so rarely see the 8s around when theres a snowstorm or some inclement weather. What exactly causes the problems with them in frigid temperatures?
 #630147  by dieciduej

I believe one of the problems, and please feel free to correct, is that the Type 8s have hydraulic brakes.

We have gotten use to the standard air brake package which can be problematic in the cold if moisture is in the lines. I would think a heavy vehicle such as the Type 8 would have air brakes, like most transit vehicles, but it does not. Must be one of those, "if it works, try something new" scenarios.

JoeD
 #630159  by Turns to grey

Excuse the ignorance - what does MTBF mean?

I was curious why there were so many 7-7 combos and figured it was just the 8s now running on the Riverside line. I guess this explains it.
 #630432  by typesix

The reason hydraulic brakes are used is that the response time when the anti-lock braking effort is instant, air brakes have a delay time that makes the anti-lock feature almost useless. This is not something new, the LRVs had air/hydraulic brakes. During development of the PCC, hydraulic brakes were investigated but were not used as no suitable fluid was found.
 #648152  by Philip Wirth

I caught 3894 moving around at Riverside today with "Test Train" on the destination sign and Comcast ads in the ad panels, so hopefully it enters service soon.

Also, hopefully 3885 and 3894 are in-service by the end of the year. I wouldn't want to see Type 8's entering service in 3 different decades!
 #684478  by Adams_Umass_Boston

Hey, I caught 3885 yesterday from GC all the way to Hynes, but there was something new!

There was something new attached to the standee poles by each door. There were these black boxes with video screen. I also noticed they had a small speaker on each front. Does anyone know what these are for? The screens themselves were deactivated but had a logo that said "PC". I noticed one by each door. They were hung low as though they were for wheelchairs.

????
 #684484  by danib62

Adams_Umass_Boston wrote:Hey, I caught 3885 yesterday from GC all the way to Hynes, but there was something new!

There was something new attached to the standee poles by each door. There were these black boxes with video screen. I also noticed they had a small speaker on each front. Does anyone know what these are for? The screens themselves were deactivated but had a logo that said "PC". I noticed one by each door. They were hung low as though they were for wheelchairs.

????
Maybe you should go check out the charliecard thread...
 #684537  by danib62

Adams_Umass_Boston wrote:How would I know that would be buried within that thread? I obvious had no idea what those black boxes were for. What would have made me think to look there for an answer?

Some of use have lives and don't read every thread.
Sorry for pointing you in the right direction.
 #696706  by rhodiecub2

Yesterday during the last half hour of the PM rush hour and from 6 onward, I saw a lot of Type 8-7 pairings on the C and the E line. Is this a common practice now?