Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by CLiner2005

Yes, the sounds of the MP41, MP54 and MP70 MU' are still fresh in my ancient memory. How many remember the clanking of the DD-1's? Back in the late forties, early fifties, lots of railfans had cameras and took many photos - not too many had audio recorders. The sounds that one could experience from QUEENS tower on any weekday evening from 4:30PM to 6:30PM was unreal. The eastbound rush was on - everything from MU's to G5's, K4's, H-10's, S-1's, S-2's, RS-1's, H16-44's, C-Liners blasting thru the crossovers was quite an experience. You could look to the west from the tower and as darkness fell, you would see the semaphores silhouetted against the fading light - and see a stream of headlights all the way back to the viaduct at Hillside. How nice it would have been to have the technology that we enjoy today to have recorded those sounds.

by Long Island 7285

That must have been an awe-inspiring experiance. would have deffinatly loved to have my video camera in had for that. but I was born way too late and and lost out on some of the moset amazing era's railroading. oh well!! Keep the stories comeing.