Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

by jp1822

Does anyone know what the consist has been lately on the Skeena? I am travelling in Totum Deluxe in July. I presume it will be:

- engine
- baggage car
- coach
- Panorama car for Totem Deluxe
- VIA I car for Totem
- Park Car

The last time I rode the Skeena I was in Totem Deluxe and we had access to the Park Car. I am getting mixed reports from VIA when I call now to confirm my reservation. There literature that they sent me said "all benefits of Totem class plus....the Panorama car." That's also what I was told when I booked the ticket - several months ago. I am also curious if the Skeena is operating with a Park Car or Skyline Car. Course if the load is light on the day that I travel, I am sure VIA will be friendly enough to let Deluxe passengers roam the train.

I'll be riding southbound/eastbound this time - Prince Rupert to Jasper.

Anyone have suggestions on what side to sit on? I think the right side will be best. As mentioned I am travelling from Prince Rupert to Jasper.

I have been to Prince Rupert before, but briefly. I'll be up in Prince Rupert this time around for 1.5 to two days (depending on the flight I chose to take from Vancouver to Prince Rupert). Mostly looking to explore the area. Unfortunately, some tours I wanted to go on, are booked up by cruise companies that are voyaging to Alaska. I really wanted to go on the grizzly bear adventure tour. Course last time I took the Skeena, I saw many black bears, cubs and a grizzly while enroute.

If anyone has any suggestion on what to do in Prince Rupert - or the area - suggestions would certainly be appreciated. I will have a rental car. I'll be flying up from Vancouver (due to time constraints - really wanted to take the BC Ferry from Port Hardy and explore Vancouver Island) and haven't decided on the early morning flight or the mid-day flight.

by Ken V

I am not the best one to comment on your questions since I have never been on this train, but here goes...

Your estimated consist will probably be fairly close, if not exact. In Totem Deluxe you will have access to the Park car and be free to visit the coach, if you feel so inclined. The only time a Skyline car would be substitued during the "peak" season is if there was a problem.

Left or right side? Both sides should be spectacular, and in the Panorama car or Park dome, both sides should be well visible. The highlight(?), Mt. Robson, will be on the left side travelling eastbound.

As for the rest, I really can't say, but I would make time for the ferry, if at all possible.