• The Raritan Valley Line Thread…

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by philipmartin

http://www.njtransit.com/sa/sa_servlet. ... ntId=10753" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Five round trips, weekdays, in and out of New York between 10am and 3pm, which won't help most commuters. Two out of the five will make High Bridge. No weekend service to New York, and I wonder why not.
The new schedules go in effect on March 2, 2014, and Mr. Weinstein's resignation is effective that day. He is going out with a bang!
Last edited by philipmartin on Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:50 am, edited 5 times in total.
  by MACTRAXX

Everyone: Through service to NYP from the RVL is a long time coming - the proverbial "one seat ride" begins on March 2nd...

This will be how the ALP45DP's get to prove their expensive worthiness to NJT...

MACTRAXX
  by nick11a

MACTRAXX wrote:Everyone: Through service to NYP from the RVL is a long time coming - the proverbial "one seat ride" begins on March 2nd...

This will be how the ALP45DP's get to prove their expensive worthiness to NJT...

MACTRAXX
Yes.... look before you leap.
  by philipmartin

http://www.mycentraljersey.com/apps/pbc ... ck_check=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The above link to "my Central Jersey.com" of Feb 19, 2014, quotes Tom Morgan, senior director of rail service planning for NJT as "calling the program "a pilot" with no definite time line." "It's open ended," he said.
Peter Palmer, the Somerset County freeholder said the program would be evaluated on ridership. If it is successful, the next step would be evening service, then weekend service. The final step would be full service to NYC, but the biggest obstacle would be lack of access to the tunnels. For example, Palmer said, Amtrak closes one of the two tunnels for maintenance on weekends.
My comment: how can it be anything but successful ridership wise?
Last edited by philipmartin on Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by ThirdRail7

philipmartin wrote: My comment: how can it be anything but successful?
Very simple. If other riders are squeezed out to make more room for the Raritan train which impacts the rest of the system for a minimal amount of additional of Raritan passengers, that would not be a success.

Additionally, the dual modes are currently used in one mode under normal conditions. They have not had a routine cycle of changing modes a few times of day. The ALP-45s also have a few little quirks that put them at a slight disadvantage when they spend a prolonged amount of time in electric mode and try to switch to diesel. One of them will mostly matter in the winter, but it is still something to watch.

When you have a specialty piece of equipment, they are usually without protection. If the ALP-s 45 have trouble that results in an unusual amount of terminations or manipulations (they are operating set for set/turn for turn) the program will also be considered unsuccessful. There is a plan in place in case there is a mode change issue, but it is not something that will be allowed on a consistent basis.

We'll have a front row seat though. I hope all goes well.
  by BigDell

Am seriously thinking about going into work a little late on March 2nd and taking the "maiden voyage"... ;-)
  by nick11a

BigDell wrote:Am seriously thinking about going into work a little late on March 2nd and taking the "maiden voyage"... ;-)
You'll have to play the song by Herbie Hancock on your ipod (or whatever you use) along the way. ;-)
  by philipmartin

BigDell wrote:Am seriously thinking about going into work a little late on March 2nd and taking the "maiden voyage"... ;-)
I was selling tickets in Morristown when Midtown Direct was initiated. My boss, the late Art Jensen, suggested that I ride the first train on the line to New York. I didn't.
A few weeks ago, here at Middletown, we had what I thought might be the first alp45 powered live train to New York on this line, and I wanted to ride it. I was going to bring my hand held scanner and ear phones, so I'd know if anything went amiss. I couldn't make it though.
I've missed some last runs too; the fan trip last run of the Jersey Central's camel back Atlantic 592 around 1949. I still regret missing that.
  by CLamb

So where will the inbound trains switch modes? As soon as they are under catenary or will they wait until stopping at Newark Penn?
  by lirr42

NJTransit requires the trians change modes while stopped as to not risk messing up the wire by raising a pan on the move, therefore, the mode change will most likely occur at Newark Penn.

If the train cannot change modes at Newark, they could still divert it to Hoboken/MMC. Conversely, I would think SEC would be the best location for the outbound mode switch that way if it fails to change modes, they have more notice to find a set.
  by Regardie

ThirdRail7 wrote: Additionally, the dual modes are currently used in one mode under normal conditions. They have not had a routine cycle of changing modes a few times of day. The ALP-45s also have a few little quirks that put them at a slight disadvantage when they spend a prolonged amount of time in electric mode and try to switch to diesel. One of them will mostly matter in the winter, but it is still something to watch.
Have they stopped doing the mode change at Newark Broad Street? There was a period back awhile where it was done many times a day and at least some of the members here have seen it. On the RVL they will spend most of their time in diesel mode and only a little time in electric mode so I don't know if they will hit "a prolonged amount of time" ever.
  by Regardie

I rode in today on 5416 which was pushed by 4502. It came in to Newark on Track A but did not do a mode change today.
  by ACeInTheHole

Regardie wrote:
ThirdRail7 wrote: Additionally, the dual modes are currently used in one mode under normal conditions. They have not had a routine cycle of changing modes a few times of day. The ALP-45s also have a few little quirks that put them at a slight disadvantage when they spend a prolonged amount of time in electric mode and try to switch to diesel. One of them will mostly matter in the winter, but it is still something to watch.
Have they stopped doing the mode change at Newark Broad Street? There was a period back awhile where it was done many times a day and at least some of the members here have seen it. On the RVL they will spend most of their time in diesel mode and only a little time in electric mode so I don't know if they will hit "a prolonged amount of time" ever.
If one comes in in E mode, theyll change it to diesel mode at Broad because of the policy with the arc prevention, and then those going west of Dover change again at Dover. Any 45 that hits the Morris and Essex in Hoboken service will do a fair bit of mode changing.