• The Pascack Valley Line Thread

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by Steve F45

took the boxcar and centerbeam around 3pm. Cought the power headed north before noon. 2 ns geeps
  by Penn Central

From a list of railroad wrecks in NJ, I saw this interesting detour:

November 16, 1970 Mahwah EL Eastbound freight derailed, blocking all four tracks of the Main Line. Passenger service diverted over what is now NJT Pascack Valley Line and back to Main Line over now defunct connection between Spring Valley and Suffern.

Can't make that move anymore.
  by mackdave

I remember it well, I was in High School at the time, and we drove up to look at the wreck. The Bergen Evening Record had an article about the detour, if believe. Something like... you should have seen the faces of the locals when the two SD-45's came through with the 100 car freight. They had to get Supervision out to protect the crossings in Hackensack, they were manual gates back then, with a split shift operation for the morning and evening commuter trains.

Dave Mackay
  by airman00

Penn Central wrote:From a list of railroad wrecks in NJ, I saw this interesting detour:

November 16, 1970 Mahwah EL Eastbound freight derailed, blocking all four tracks of the Main Line. Passenger service diverted over what is now NJT Pascack Valley Line and back to Main Line over now defunct connection between Spring Valley and Suffern.

Well you "technically" can't make that move anymore. I believe that connection known as the "Piermont branch" (I think) is somewhat whashed out in the middle, but the suffern end of the connection is still active and known as the suffern industrial (or so I heard). As for the spring valley end it is intact, including a switch, (and there is also an old freight siding intact with a switch nearby as well) I just don't know where the washout begins and how bad it is?

I know about potential "nimbyism" in the washed out area, but IF you could repair the washout, and NJT does have the authority to do so at any time, well that to me would be great!
  by ExCon90

mackdave wrote:I remember it well, I was in High School at the time, and we drove up to look at the wreck. The Bergen Evening Record had an article about the detour, if believe. Something like... you should have seen the faces of the locals when the two SD-45's came through with the 100 car freight. They had to get Supervision out to protect the crossings in Hackensack, they were manual gates back then, with a split shift operation for the morning and evening commuter trains.

Dave Mackay
Mark I Video put out a VHS quite a while back of converted 16mm color footage shot on a Saturday in the late 1940's or very early 50's. The NJ&NY was still running one or more trains inbound on Saturday mornings and outbound early in the afternoon, and the trains are shown at various stations on the line. It seems that the crossing watchmen were working a 5-day week by that time, so the gates were not operated at all on Saturdays. The trains stopped and flagged every crossing and then proceeded with the gates up.
  by Steve F45

The line is severed in several spots in rockland county with some area's near impossible to have a row for any trains. I'de love to see video of that freight move if one even exists.

On the modern day pvl though, 2 more boxcars have been spotted at kuiken lumber in emerson since last week.
  by R36 Combine Coach

There is some development directly on the old line in Monsey.
  by Hawaiitiki

airman00 wrote:
Well you "technically" can't make that move anymore. I believe that connection known as the "Piermont branch" (I think) is somewhat whashed out in the middle, but the suffern end of the connection is still active and known as the suffern industrial (or so I heard). As for the spring valley end it is intact, including a switch, (and there is also an old freight siding intact with a switch nearby as well) I just don't know where the washout begins and how bad it is?

I know about potential "nimbyism" in the washed out area, but IF you could repair the washout, and NJT does have the authority to do so at any time, well that to me would be great!
I agree. I don't think a washout would be 1% of the issues of getting that line up and running. It would be quelling wealthy NIMBYs who haven't seen a train behind their house in 30 years. I highlighted the stretch red on the map below.

by airman00

How bad are the washed out areas? And correct me if I am wrong but NJT as a railroad has the authority to repair the tracks WITHOUT having to notify any of the local communities. As far as I know they only have to notify the DEP.
  by Steve F45

If you use google earth or bing maps to zoom in, you'll see where it will be virtually impossible to just relay tracks. When they did route 59 bridge where I believe it went over the tracks, it was all cleared away aroudn there.
  by airman00

I saw two interesting things on the PVL today. First this morning going thru Westwood and headed toward Hoboken there was a metro north express (4 car train) powered by MN #4911 (F40), that appeared to have two engineers. One guy in the cab car running the train and a second guy (in a safety vest) in the engineers seat of the F40. Why the need for two engineers?

Second, later in the day I saw two 4-car trainsets coupled together headed towards hoboken, only the first 4-car set powered by NJT Geep 4209(?) was actually a revenue set and it stopped at the Westwood station to pick up passengers. The second set was OOS and being towed along for the ride. The second set was powered by a PL42 locomotive, except for the fact that the pl42 was idling only. The geep was doing ALL the work, pulling 8 cars plus a pl42 and it was working hard, but doing a darn good job of it! (those old geeps still got it!)
  by CPSK

Penn Central wrote:From a list of railroad wrecks in NJ, I saw this interesting detour:

I remember that event, although I didn't see the train - just remember reading about it. I was in Jr. High School at the time.
I can also recall coming across the now abandoned track near Monsey NY while at Requa Lake for my 9th grade picnic. A friend and I went wandering into the woods on a trail and came to the track. I recall that it was very rusty and appeared either abandoned, or nearly so. That would have been in 1971.

I have traced the route in Google Earth. The images are too large for me to post here, but you can click on the links below to see the images at their source url.

Red = active mainline
Light Purple = abandoned
Light Blue = Rail Trail on abandoned line

Overview of the route: http://s425.photobucket.com/user/CPSK/m ... b.jpg.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sequence of 6 images showing the entire route in more detail:
Hit the > button to the right of the image to view the next in sequence

If anyone would like to view the route in even closer detail directly in Google Earth, I can send you the .kmz files with the route by e-mail.

I seriously doubt that any rail line will ever follow this route again, but perhaps (not in my lifetime), a new high-speed route will be constructed between Suffern and Tarrytown, following the I-87287 corridor, with junction to the Pascack Valley line at Spring Valley, a new bridge over the Hudson near the TZ, and meeting the Hudson line just south of Tarrytown.
But I seriously doubt that even that route will ever be built. It would be far too expensive for any government to take on, and probably not lucrative enough for private enterprise.

CP
  by njsteelersfan

Anybody know what the deal is this morning. Saw a 2 train eastbound looked like it was making all stops. Could have sworn that 1636 passed. Thanks
  by srock1028

njsteelersfan wrote:Anybody know what the deal is this morning. Saw a 2 train eastbound looked like it was making all stops. Could have sworn that 1636 passed. Thanks
1645 was cancelled at Woodcliff Lake due to mechanical problems. Passengers went to train 1647 and train 1636 was around 1 hour 45 minutes late.
  by Conrail Blue

I have a question. I'm aware that the NY Times had a plant in Carlstadt along the Pascack line, but I cant figure out its location. Anyonre know the address of where the plant was? It closed in the early 90's