Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

by jtbell

Oops, I missed your posting and posted my own alert. I've gone back and deleted it. I've also printed out an envelope with the address for public comments which is listed in that SubChat posting, and will write a letter over the weekend.

by Robert Paniagua

That's just a proposal, not final yet.

Also, with that, they are talking about banning use of the storm doors togo from the last car to the first car of the train without having to wait to pull into a station.

But you know what, I'll still take my videocamera with me and look around for any uniformed officer, in the event I find an officer, I'll just take off and run and run fast and hide............
  by MBTA Railfan

Yes it is true but you can help stop the ban...

The MTA is proposing a ban on photography on the MTA Subway system.

If it passes it can spread to other systems and rail networks

I encouragen everyone even those who do not live in NYC to write
your comments to the MTA.

By going to the website below you can write your comments

http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/nyct/rules/proposed.htm

Please help respond to protect one of our Freedoms in the USA.

Please tell them what you think.

Bob

by Otto Vondrak

This is the proposal in question:

Section 1040.4
In order to further enhance passenger security and safety, photography and videorecording is prohibited except for members of the press holding valid identification cards issued by the New York City Police Department or where written authorization has been provided by SIRTOA. [Section 1040.4(f)]

Sounds like this applies only to Staten Island Railway?

Section 1050.9
In order to further enhance passenger security and safety, photography and videorecording would be prohibited except for members of the press holding valid identification cards issued by the New York City Police Department or where written authorization has been provided by NYCTA. [Section 1050.9(c)]

This one looks like it applies to the subway.

-otto-

by Robert Paniagua

I saw that Documentation Otto, and to add to that, I videotape, not take regular pictures, videotaping for me is better, with motion, and sounds, and everything in between. I've done it before out front windows of R46, R68 and the ex-R36 on the 7, I have yet to do it off R32, R38 or other B division equipment but that will change soon as I invade the city TA on Christmas day and the day after to video!!!!

by AmeriKenArtist

Can you create stills from your videos? You MUST carry a camera as well? I'll be in the city with my son on the 29th. We plan to take at least 1000 photos.

by Robert Paniagua

Can you create stills from your videos? You MUST carry a camera as well? I'll be in the city with my son on the 29th. We plan to take at least 1000 photos

I could actually, but I don't possess the equipment at home to do that, but I only carry my videocamera, BUT I may bring my regular one as well just in case.

Wow, 1000 photos? You'll need TONS of film, my friend! Or a whole bunch of disquettes if it's a digital camera that you have.

by F40

They let you videotape? Last time I went fanning the Subway, the transit workers were almost 'happy' to see me taking photos without flash. This follows the old rule, but I wasn't aware of the new regulation when I went.

I have to have a subway videotape of some sort before I head off to college. Tell me how and when to get the best shots! And how to upload it online also!

by Robert Paniagua

F40 wrote:They let you videotape? Last time I went fanning the Subway, the transit workers were almost 'happy' to see me taking photos without flash. This follows the old rule, but I wasn't aware of the new regulation when I went.
Actually I sneak out my video camera to make my filming move. I still am a bit jittery, I admit it, but I do film out the front with pride. However, when I see an NYCTA employee (not counting the motorman or guard) at the platform or within my eyeshot or an NYPD officer, I immediately try my best to hide the camera and look around to see if they approach me. I still get on edge about that. But when there's no one, then I start rolling away on the open air surface and EL stops.
I have to have a subway videotape of some sort before I head off to college. Tell me how and when to get the best shots! And how to upload it online also!
Yeah to do that, you have to have a decent camcorder for this type of operation. The best gear for it is the focus long range which you can zoom in 20+ times and get an "up close and personal" shot of an approaching train, for example. Also, the best locations to shoot video out front is thru the Manhattan Bridge even if you get an R46 or R68/68A, although you'll have a fuzzy view, and also the Smith/9th Street Flyover is another good filming zone, plus the IND/BMT El's including some IRT's although now those could be fuzzy, since the R142's rock the house on many of the IRT EL routes. Only non-fuzzy view out front you'll get on an IRT route is the #1 thru 242ST/Van Cortland Park, and the 3 till New Lot's Ave, plus Line 7 on its mostly open air routes.

by Silverliner II

Hmmmph! And here I was planning to do some video on the subway too. I guess even though this proposal is not in effect yet, there is no kind of permit to obtain in order to film "hassle-free".

Amazing, since getting permission to do video on Metro-North at 125th Street today was as easy as a phone call!

*signed* a frustrated railfan.....

by Robert Paniagua

I'd actually like to videotape when entering.................Grand Central!!

But videoing is better for me, especially thru the fuzzy windows of the R44 and up cars.
  by fordhamroad

While we are kidding around on this thread, the grim forces of the law are preparing to exclude all of us, except commercial interests, from snapping shots of our favorite trains and stations. They were deterred once by the public reaction, but will they slip it in now without serious resistance? If MTA subways adopts this policy, will LIRR and Metro North be far behind? What is really being done to stop them, and preserve our freedom to photograph subways?
Roger

by Robert Paniagua

Well when I went down on Dec 26th I was filming out front off the A line from past Grant Avenue till Broad Channel, and nobody botherred me so no problems. Although I had to hide my video camera a little bit.
  by AmeriKenArtist

I was in town on the 29th with my son. We used the subway frequently and took the Roosevelt Island Tram. I took some photos underground and I may have been in trouble once! I was photographing an R train comng into a station. I'm sure the operator watched me as I took four or five pictures as it rolled in..... The train was quiet for a long time. The doors remained open. Then my paranoia awoke when an announcement was made, requesting any transit police to report to the operator immediately! A second request was made. After another 30 seconds the doors closed and we headed uptown.