Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by DutchRailnut

here is shot of M-7 railfan window.
http://community.webshots.com/photo/130 ... 8867hvKkLO
Last edited by DutchRailnut on Tue Jul 13, 2004 5:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

by JoeLIRR

DutchRailfan

Can you please post the link, for some reason im not getting the picture to show up.

Thanks
  by Head-end View

Dutch: Didn't someone say here a while back that current FRA regs prohibit any glass on the front of the train facing the passengers????
Last edited by Head-end View on Tue Jul 13, 2004 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by DutchRailnut

Correct that window is Lexan and is 4 feet from front of train.

by Jersey_Mike

Can you speak to how often the cabs in the rear of the train are halved?

by DutchRailnut

By rule (FRA & Railroad) the front and rear full cab has to be isolated from public. how many crews do ????

by bluebelly

DutchRailnut wrote:By rule (FRA & Railroad) the front and rear full cab has to be isolated from public. how many crews do ????
'

All of us do. Besides the window being made of lexan as you pointed out, there is also a sliding steel plate on the cab side of the door that covers the window. The reason for the window is so the we can see if there is anyone in front of the door before it is opened. Like the cab doors on the M1/M3s it takes quite a shove to open them. If some one is standing there they could get hurt.
  by Head-end View

JerseyMike: Back when the M-7's first started coming into service, I remember another railfan saying on one of these boards that sometimes the rear-cabs were left in the half-open position, enabling interested passengers to use the 2 observer seats at the rear window. (And recover 2 lost seats for the riding public)

IIRC the writer had in fact ridden in that rear cab area at least once, and had not been asked to move. So for a while some of us thought there might be a ray of hope for M-7 railfanning, but it apparently was not to be.

Every M-7 I have ridden has had the rear cab completely closed as said above, by a previous poster. Oh well; it was a nice idea while it lasted........ :(
  by Head-end View

Is the screen for this thread appearing unusually wide on everyone else's computer too, or is it just on mine? Does anyone know how to restore it to normal size? Or how it got this way to begin with? I got into computers in middle age and some of this is very puzzling to me. :(

by LIengineerBob

I am always kind enough to leaved the metal plate down for those who wish to get a look out the head end...not all of us guys are anti-railfan!! You really can't see much out of it though, as it is has a really dark tint to it, and unless it's really bright outside, you can't see.

by JoeLIRR

Bob got to see out the railfan window a few times in daylight. but i would expect it relitivly dificult to get a good view at night with the car interior lights on and the dubble windows w/ tints to look out.

by M1 9147

I believe it is the same as the R142/142A subway car as you look through the railfan window (hologram) in it. The C3 has no tint to it at all.