• The Cicada Swarm and tracks

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by jdelgrosso

Well, I was wondering, like they had problems with leaves in the fall, is New Jersey Transit going to have problems with cicadas on the rails in the coming weeks? Because, if a trains keeps running over cicadas, won't the cicadas splatter all over the rails and cause the train to slide?

Another issue is, can cicadas damage overhead electrical wires? I was thinking maybe they can chew those up and other wires. Also, are the trains themselves cicada proof from cicadas crawling in?

Also, once all the bugs die, does NJT have a plan to clean them all up off railroad property, or are they just gonna let the cicadas decompose there?

by nick11a

There hasn't been much if any in my area. But I do suppose these things would make a bit of a mess in the affected areas.

by james1787

First off... eww! Those things are pretty nasty. (I am not a big fan of bugs). I'd hate to commute having those buzz around in the car. They are large enough they should have to pay their own way!

I would only imagine that if needed, they will only be clean or swept from the station areas, that's it. All the rest will be left to decompose.

I have no idea if they would interfere with the tracks or wires. I know the leaves have oils in them - that's what causes the train to slide or not get traction. I don't know what is in bug insides goo that would make them slippery or not. I'm sure if you get enough of them it could be. Perhaps they'll use that new track cleaning car they have. I would think those things don't eat electrical wires.. espicially large catenary wires. Those are my thoughts on the cicadas..

James

by Irish Chieftain

I have heard of locust swarms (not cicadas, true locusts) covering the tracks and making them extremely slick when crushed, slicker even than from leaf oils. Never heard of insect swarms fouling catenary wire, but enough bugs concentrated in one area would certainly cause some ill effects.
Last edited by Irish Chieftain on Sun May 30, 2004 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by JFB

I think it's time for another one Idiot Railfan's famous Photoshop pieces.

An ALP-46 with a HUGE bug deflector?

by jdelgrosso

I know the platforms are gonna be really nasty. Watch your step. What will happen if Cicadas DO take a ride with the passengers? Unfortunantly, bugs don't need to pay fares. I had a tick crawling on me all the way from Cherry Hill to Harrisburg. He didn't pay $21.75! Luckily, I found the tick in Harrisburg before it bit me.

Also, aren't the cicadas gonna be all over wooden shelters? Trying to get tree sap out of the roofs. Could the roofs collapse?

by mb

You seem to have a profound liking or interest for these cicadas.

by transit383

First off, any type of flying insect on a train is very annoying. It is amusing though watching all the passengers aboard try and swat it away, and when its gone they still keep an eye on it to make sure it stays away. At least you can open the windows on a bus and hope it goes out, no such luck on the train.

Secondly, cicadas decompose rather quickly. They are common visitors to the pool in my yard in the summertime (always find them dead in the water in the morning). I skim them out and empty the skimmer in the back of the yard, within a few days you can't even tell it was a cicada.

I doubt they pose any risk to wooden structures. Wood is a lot stronger than you would think.

by DRail

I heard the ALP 46's have been fitted with small aluminum "cicada sheilds" just in front of each sander.

by walt

The only damage Cicadas do is to small branches when they lay their eggs. And they don't fly very well ( I saw one fly right into an iron railing and knock itself out!) The biggest problem, other than the noise and their appearance, will be the stench which will occur when they all die and begin to decompose.