• The Best LIRR Diesel Paint Scheme Ever ?

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by newkirk

If not, what's yours.

by ConstanceR46

Naw, the RWB never really made me happy. But the just blue-n-white, well, that was wizard. Esp w/blue trucks
  by RGlueck

The original Tichy scheme was the best LIRR scheme on a Diesel. The steam era black with graphie smokebox and black smokebox door to offset the red keystone, was perfection.
If we're talking about the era of the Evil Empire, the ALCO FA2 "Push-Pull" locos in platinum and blue stripe, and yellow nose band, aren't bad.
Blue and white has nothing to do with the LIRR. GACK!
  by Teutobergerwald

The blue & white livery on the Century 420s, GP38-2's, EMD switchers and the 619-622 power packs.
  by ConstanceR46

I did like the grey/blue fa units too. in the same vein as the early mn fl9s, i love it looking uniform with the whole train
  by Backshophoss

Believe the Blue/White/Red stripe scheme was adapted from MILW's Bi Centennial scheme in 1975-76, over time the red stripe went Blue
on the GP-38-2's and the C-420's (L-2 class)
The simple Blue/White Scheme on the MP-15's and SW-1001's was at its best when clean(fresh from the wash rack),
The same could be said when the GP-38-2 were washed on a regular basis,as the Alcos were freight and work train power,grungy,needing
a trip to the wash rack dirty was their normal "dress" were still decent enough to become pic subjects.
  by nyandw

[quote="Backshophoss"]Believe the Blue/White/Red stripe scheme was adapted from MILW's Bi Centennial scheme in 1975-76, over time the red stripe went Blueon the GP-38-2's and the C-420's (L-2 class)

Yes, ex-MILW influence: Image and noted in other references upon the arrival of the new Master Mechanic came from the Milwaukee Road. Research: John Scala

"In 1976, a new person in charge of the fleet came from the Milwaukee Road, which sported an all-EMD fleet. Besides at this time ALCO had ceased to exist since 1969. LIRR/MTA management switched to GP 38-2’s, MP-15AC’s, and SW-1001’s as the ALCO fleet was aging. The 252 was the only GP 38-2 to be delivered in bicentennial colors, and was almost exactly the same as the bicentennial engines of the Milwaukee Road." Research: Rich Gorddard
  by mp15ac

1964 World's Fair gray and orange.

Stuart
  by Teutobergerwald

The gray & orange was sharp, too.
  by MACTRAXX

Everyone:

Each one of the LIRR past Diesel locomotive color schemes looks good as applied.

The first two pictures are of the Frank S. Gabreski era (LIRR President 1978-1981) red-white-blue
"We Serve With Pride" color scheme - note under the cab of GP38-2 261. On The 222-229 this was
perhaps the best color scheme that they had in LIRR service - much better then the blue and yellow
NYS colors that they originally had.

The Tichy color scheme was before my time but had its good points like the silhouette of LI but my
favorite of all time was the 1960s era orange and gray worn by the C420s/L1s. Steve's early photo
of 203 right after delivery - note that there was no "Dashing Dan" decal or smoke deflectors along
with its original rectangular fuel tank - shows how good that they looked back when they were new.

With the mention that there are surviving former LIRR C420s still around it would be great to see
one brought back to LI - RMLI or OBRM - along with a three car train of 2900 series cars in orange
and gray - arguably the best color scheme those cars had-especially the 1964-65 World's Fair type.
To me this would be perhaps the ultimate in LIRR vintage train preservation...MACTRAXX
  by RGlueck

I have to second that. There seems to be a dearth of preservation funding around the two LIRR museums. Ideally, a C420 in the World's Fair scheme would be a true historic piece of New York and LIRR history. The gray/orange swoop should be represented. I certainly can understand where having an operational G5s would be the charm, and I'd opt for that myself, at least as first in line. Having the option to obtain one of the C420's, even as a cosmetic/static piece, and stored on protected property, should be a goal on somebodies short list.