Railroad Forums 

• The 470 Railroad Club (Equipment and Activities)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#939020  by ericofmaine

Reader#108 wrote:Any word on progress as of yet?
I'll have more info after tomorrow's trustees meeting, but for now I can say the panels have been ordered and we're awaiting delivery.

Eric
 #943707  by Reader#108

Eric, I was just curious....would the 470 consider putting a prime mover into 4268 before the new panels are installed? And, barring that, I am assuming that it is going to need a fresh coat of paint.....will it remain in the minuteman scheme or has the Blue Dip B&M been considered at all? I think that they would look cool with 4266 remaining in the red and having 4268 go to the blue...
 #943756  by ericofmaine

Reader#108 wrote:Eric, I was just curious....would the 470 consider putting a prime mover into 4268 before the new panels are installed? And, barring that, I am assuming that it is going to need a fresh coat of paint.....will it remain in the minuteman scheme or has the Blue Dip B&M been considered at all? I think that they would look cool with 4266 remaining in the red and having 4268 go to the blue...
We would and have been, at least in the "something to think about in the future" scenario. As for before the panels, no, as nothing could be found in that short of time (panels should be shipping tomorrow) and the existing panels are in pretty rough shape.

As for paint, I'm quite certain that the "blue dip" has not been considered.

Eric
 #943846  by b&m 1566

Pan Am scrapped the two remaining GP7's on their roster earlier this year after retiring them in running condition (that's what I was told anyways) last fall. In hindsight, you might have been able to acquiring one of the engine blocks.
 #943856  by MEC407

There's still a pretty good market for used 567s, and they're not exactly cheap (compared to a new set of body panels anyway). As we know, Pan Am doesn't just give stuff away. I'm sure they'd be open to reasonable offers, though.
 #943902  by ericofmaine

b&m 1566 wrote:Pan Am scrapped the two remaining GP7's on their roster earlier this year after retiring them in running condition (that's what I was told anyways) last fall. In hindsight, you might have been able to acquiring one of the engine blocks.
I know... we missed them by about two weeks.

Eric
 #943911  by MEC407

I imagine there will be opportunities for you to acquire a 567 from one of their GP9s at some point in the near future, if that's something the club wants to pursue.
 #944032  by daylight4449

MEC407 wrote:I imagine there will be opportunities for you to acquire a 567 from one of their GP9s at some point in the near future, if that's something the club wants to pursue.
Try and see if the museum in Gavelston, TX still has the parts from the F7s they scrapped about two weeks ago.
 #944109  by Reader#108

I was up on Monday.....the 4268 has looked tough for a while, but I really noticed the bulging on 4266 this time around....well, at least a new coat will make them look sharp!
 #944215  by ericofmaine

Reader#108 wrote:I was up on Monday.....the 4268 has looked tough for a while, but I really noticed the bulging on 4266 this time around....well, at least a new coat will make them look sharp!
And hopefully the new panels also.

Eric
 #945299  by ericofmaine

b&m 1566 wrote:Where is the bell located of the 4266?
I think, but am nowhere near certain, it is behind the pilot.

Eric
 #947156  by JBConn

On Monday 6/27 two gentlemen were removing the lower right side panels from 4268. My kids were amused to see it was full of old truck tires.

According to the workers, they are going to replace the panels and paint 4268 to get her ready to be a 1:1 scale "dummy" behind 4266.
 #947914  by b&m 1566

Is 4268 going to be moved into the round house for painting?
When will 4266 get its turn in the paint booth?
 #948539  by ericofmaine

b&m 1566 wrote:Is 4268 going to be moved into the round house for painting?
When will 4266 get its turn in the paint booth?
We haven't broached that subject with Conway Scenic, so I don't have an answer. Certainly not now, with the BAR car in stall 4. As for 4266, as it is in service, not anytime in the near future.

Eric