• Thanksgiving Week Extras

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Nasadowsk

<i>Amtrak has been experiencing sporadic electrical problems all week in and out of NYP. </i>

Wonder if that critical last cable is starting to flake out...

Hey, maybe this will push Amtrak to *finally* dump the antique 25hz infestructure around NYP for 12kv 60hz. Then there's no big cables everywhere cause you can get power for the substation *anywhere*

by JJMDiMunno

I spent some time at Prospect Park on the NEC Weds night, with a few fellow SJRA members (shameless plug: http://www.SJRA.SJRail.com), and caught a decent amount of action on the NEC, as can be expected. I was actually looking for borrowed equipment, but no luck with that tonight. However, one train that I did look at on the schedule was running close to an hour and a half late, others weren't far off of that as far as I could tell with the help of Julie at Amtrak's 800 number. They seemed to be running in "chunks" of traffic, with a whole bunch of stuff within a few minutes and then a relative dead period for about 15 minutes, only for another "chunk" of traffic to come along. I don't do much NEC photography or viewing, so I don't know if this is their usual practice, but it didn't seem like it since a few trains were coming up on approach signals since they were running so close.

Here's a few photos from tonight, up at Prospect Park, PA:

Hi everyone,
I spent the day today down on the CSX Philly Sub and over on the NEC, looking for borrowed equipment. A group of SJRA members met over at Prospect Park station on the NEC, expecting to find some of this stuff, but no luck tonight. And since we were together as an SJRA group there at Prospect Park, I'm posting these few photos of the action there tonight:

1. Amtrak northbound with approaching SEPTA southbound. This exposure shot at ISO-100, F5.0, and 4.5 seconds:
http://www.SJRail.com/DailyPhotos/Amtrak_ProspectPk.jpg

2. Both Amtrak southbound and SEPTA southbound, fairly close together, light up the wires at Prospect Park. Looks like one big ball of light, but the effect of the lighting on the wires is what I found interesting here. This was shot at ISO-400, F4.5, and 1.6 seconds:
http://www.SJRail.com/DailyPhotos/ATK_SEPTA_Wires.jpg

I'd like to wish everyone here a Happy Thanksgiving to you and all your families. Take care.

Mike DiMunno
www.SJRail.com: All about South Jersey Railroads!

by David Benton

Nasadowsk wrote:<i>Amtrak has been experiencing sporadic electrical problems all week in and out of NYP. </i>

Wonder if that critical last cable is starting to flake out...

Hey, maybe this will push Amtrak to *finally* dump the antique 25hz infestructure around NYP for 12kv 60hz. Then there's no big cables everywhere cause you can get power for the substation *anywhere*
25 khz cables would be smaller than 12 khz ones , 1/2 the size for the same voltage drop .

by LI Loco

Help me out on this one - I realize there were electrical power problems in NYP late this afternoon, but how does the Lake Shore Limited depart NYP 1 hour 40 minutes late, but the Silver Meteor departs NYP 4 hours and 30 minutes late?
I think the poor Silver Meteor may have gotten stuck in the tunnel, but I am not sure.

by LI Loco

It was the Silver Meteor. Newsday reported today:

"Amtrak travel was delayed yesterday by up to two hours after a Miami-bound train encountered problems with a power wire in a tunnel under the East River. The Silver Meteor got stuck at about 2:15 p.m., triggering problems for trains attempting to move from a Sunnyside yard to Penn Station.

An Amtrak spokesman, Tracey Connell, said crews were expected to have the stuck train moving by evening. The ripple effect left Long Island Rail Road trains departing Penn Station delayed by up to 15 minutes and New Jersey Transit trains slowed down by around 10 minutes."

Story is not available on Newsday's website at this time. I will post link if it is posted.

by Ken W2KB

>>>>25 khz cables would be smaller than 12 khz ones , 1/2 the size for the same voltage drop .<<<<

He said 25hz to 60hz -- frequency, not a voltage change. Cable size would be the same for any given IR losses.
  by PRRTechFan

Nasadowsk wrote:

David Benton replied:
25 khz cables would be smaller than 12 khz ones , 1/2 the size for the same voltage drop .

Just to clear up some electrical terminology; the voltages are in kV
(k=kilo or thousand; V=volts) and the line frequencies are Hz.

But the idea is correct; you can either transmit twice as much power down the same size cable by doubling the voltage from 12.5kV to 25kV; or at 25kV you could half the cable size of what you would need at 12.5kV to transmit the same amount of power, while maintaining the same losses.

While the catenary system voltage is around 12.5kV, the main distribution system voltage between substations is approximately 138kV. If you look at the usual "H" tower structure spanning the rails supporting the caternary... each pair of cables supported from large insulators hanging on a crossarm attached to one of the vertical support columns above the catenary is one 138Kv circuit. There are usually 2 or 4 sets, and they are redundant circuits. If there are cables arranged in groups of three, they are 3 phase circuits for a commercial utility who has "rented" the space on the columns along the right-of-way, and they are not Amtrak power related.

The frequency is a separate problem. The original PRR electrification was and still is 25Hz through NYP. New Haven-Boston is 60Hz, as are electrified portions of NJT that were changed over from the original Edison-era 3kV DC.

I know that some of the NJT equipment can traverse the phase breaks between different system voltages or frequencies "on the fly", but I believe there is still a significant amount of equipment that is fixed as to which voltage system it can operate on. Also, whether there is any equipment left that can only run on 25Hz and not 60, I just do not know. The same applies to Amtrak. The Acela equipment will run on either, but I am not sure about all the rest of the Amtrak electric equipment.

I do not think it is just a matter of switching from the PRR-era 25Hz system to commercial 60Hz power. Interestingly enough, if the locomotives did not care about the frequency, you could switch the entire NEC 25Hz electrical system to 60Hz tonight... The transformers don't care; in fact, increasing their frequency from 25Hz to 60Hz would increase their efficiency; there would be less internal losses and they would run cooler at 60Hz! (Don't try this in reverse; running a 60Hz transformer at 25Hz will probably destroy it due to greater internal losses and heating...)

I believe that one possible problem is that some signal equipment, mostly track circuit relays, cab signal track code relays and anything else related to the actual track circuits would have to be changed out when moving traction power from 25Hz to 60Hz. This is because the signal power is another different frequency, which can not be a harmonic (or an even multiple) of traction power. This is so that the signal relays can ignore stray rail currents from 25Hz traction power or an accidental short from a commercial 60Hz circuit, yet still respond properly to signal rail currents of their unique, unrelated frequency. At one time, that signal power frequency was some odd number just above 90Hz. So changing out the signal system may cost an order of magnitude more than just connecting a local substation to commercial 60Hz power.

Another problem is the 60Hz commercial power system itself... The existing PRR era system is a unique, 25Hz single-phase power distribution system. My understanding is that there are very few, perhaps only two or three; "sources" of single-phase 25Hz power to the NEC. They were most likely originally coal or oil fired power plants with single phase generators (rarely seen then, let alone today) or were motor-generator stations operating on commercial 3 phase power and producing single phase power; built exclusively for the PRR. Some of the motor-generator "frequency converters" I believe have been replaced with modern electronic equivalents. (Does anyone know any present details concerning the sources of NEC power and how it is derived?)

In any event, it is a rather simple single-phase distribution system with just a few power plants directly tied together through the 138kV distribution system.

Commercial power today is 3 phase, and although everyone talks about the system being a "grid" that ties everything tightly together, that really is not exactly the case. Some of those connections are not as "tight" as you would think; and as such, there are indeed fluctuations in voltage and frequency between utilities throughout the US. If all of the former 25Hz NEC substations that formerly received power from a single transmission system were to be connected to commercial utilities receiving their power from a myriad of different utilities, grids and circuits; we could be creating more problems than we have solved. (Go to http://synchrophasor.selinc.com/live-sy ... asors.html to see real-time changing differences in frequency and phase between utilities)

You can end up with unwanted circulating currents travelling over the catenary between substations connected to different sources; phase breaks would probably have to be installed in every catenary mid-way between every substation. Also, protective relaying (utility talk for the very specialized protection of substations, power plants and transmission lines from faults; their equal to a circuit breaker in your house, except much more sophisticated) becomes much more complex and makes it much more difficult to identify a fault or short circuit and isolate only the smallest section of the circuit. Example: A train on track 3 near Princeton Junction gets a pantograph entangled with the catenary causing a short circuit to the catenary. Do you want the electrical system to: A) Shut down everything between Trenton and New Brunswick; stopping every train between those points? B) Shut down just the substation at Nassau in Princeton Junction; resulting in extreme low voltage in the Princeton Junction area and forcing trains to move through the affected area one every 15 minutes or so? or C) Kill only the track 3 catenary segment, only through Princeton Junction and let trains on tracks 1,2 & 4 run? I'll take "C", which I believe is the way the original system was designed and still works today.

Can the 25Hz NEC be upgraded? Sure! Should it be? Sure! But it is not just a matter of changing some parts and pieces to change frequency and making sure the insulators and clearances are good to raise the voltage to 25Kv. What about overhead tunnel clearances in the East and North River tunnels? Wasn't there a niche or recess built into the top to accomodate the catenary and insulators for the 11kV? What happens at 25kV?

The new electrification from New Haven to Boston is 25kV, 60Hz and is fed from commercial utility power. I have not seen a "one line diagram" as to how it was done, but it appears that they are taking utility power at 3 phase and converting it to single phase for traction use. Siemens supplied the equipment, and they offer only vague information on their web site. They refer to supplying "substations, switching stations and paralleling stations", and I couldn't infer much about them or how it all worked from a recent Acela trip to Boston... we passed the substations way too quickly! (Does anyone have further information on that 60Hz system?) Not having seen a schematic, I cannot be sure; but I do not think that the Boston system is as simple or "bullet-proof" for today as what the PRR designed in the 30's... I guess we'll find out around 2070 or so, but I won't be here then... :-)

So I would be careful before describing the existing system as "antique". "Old" it is. "In need of repair or replacement" it is. I have very recently been involved in the modification and design of high voltage substation switching and control schemes, and it amazes me how many of the designs and techniques are 40-50 or more years old. We may implement the designs today with electronics and microprocessors that were done with vacuum tubes and with mechanical relays before that, but the principles do not change. As I get older and am now able to locate historical information, specifically about the PRR and signaling and power systems, I am absolutely amazed at the sophistication of these systems that were built in the 30's.

So my plea to Amtrak engineering: When you fix/replace the NEC electrical distribution, don't toss out everything that was done in the 30's. The laws of physics have not changed (...at least as regards electrons in electricity!) and there is very good reason that it still works after 70 years: Keep it simple, build in multiple redundancy, oversize everything and build it to last.

by Nasadowsk

<i>I know that some of the NJT equipment can traverse the phase breaks between different system voltages or frequencies "on the fly", but I believe there is still a significant amount of equipment that is fixed as to which voltage system it can operate on.</i>

Voltage system. All NJT equipment can switch frequencies on the fly. Even the Arrows.

<i> Also, whether there is any equipment left that can only run on 25Hz and not 60, I just do not know. The same applies to Amtrak. The Acela equipment will run on either, but I am not sure about all the rest of the Amtrak electric equipment. </i>

All of Amtrak's equipment is 60hz capeable, and can switch on the fly.

<i>I believe that one possible problem is that some signal equipment, mostly track circuit relays, cab signal track code relays and anything else related to the actual track circuits would have to be changed out when moving traction power from 25Hz to 60Hz.</i>

25/60 switchable equipment is a catalog item from US&S, and has been for years. One mearly flips a switch on the device and it's ready. I don't know about the impeadence bonds, though I suspect they're good for either also.

<i>Another problem is the 60Hz commercial power system itself... The existing PRR era system is a unique, 25Hz single-phase power distribution system. My understanding is that there are very few, perhaps only two or three; "sources" of single-phase 25Hz power to the NEC. They were most likely originally coal or oil fired power plants with single phase generators (rarely seen then, let alone today) or were motor-generator stations operating on commercial 3 phase power and producing single phase power; built exclusively for the PRR.</i>

I'd love to get to the bottom of this. I've heard that it's truely single phase, but even the NH did 3 phase generation of power, and I'm not aware anyone even built large single phase generators, they have virtually no use.

<i>Some of the motor-generator "frequency converters" I believe have been replaced with modern electronic equivalents.</i>

One or two. The old stuff is horriffically inefficient, and the new stuff isn't 100% either.

<i>Commercial power today is 3 phase, and although everyone talks about the system being a "grid" that ties everything tightly together, that really is not exactly the case. Some of those connections are not as "tight" as you would think; and as such, there are indeed fluctuations in voltage and frequency between utilities throughout the US.</i>

Yes, but the entire US east of the Rockies is <b>supposed</b> to be in phase. I don't know exactly how tightly everything stays, and I suspect that it does bounce a bit, given how large a system it is.

<i> If all of the former 25Hz NEC substations that formerly received power from a single transmission system were to be connected to commercial utilities receiving their power from a myriad of different utilities, grids and circuits; we could be creating more problems than we have solved.</i>

But experience worldwide has shown this simply to not be the case.

<i>The new electrification from New Haven to Boston is 25kV, 60Hz and is fed from commercial utility power. I have not seen a "one line diagram" as to how it was done, but it appears that they are taking utility power at 3 phase and converting it to single phase for traction use.</i>

I don't think they do it that way. The BIG attraction to comercial frequency power is you eliminate all the conversion equipment.

<i>So my plea to Amtrak engineering: When you fix/replace the NEC electrical distribution, don't toss out everything that was done in the 30's. The laws of physics have not changed (...at least as regards electrons in electricity!) </i>

Ahhh, but you've missed a big piece of the puzzle:

Trains don't need 25hz power anymore.

In the 1930's, there was no way around it - they needed 25hz power and that was that. ever since the rectifier locomotive appeared after WWII, there was no longer a need for a 25hz system.

The laws of physics didn't change (obviously!), what happened was power electronics rose from a fantasy in 1920 to a reality in the 50's, and a commonplace thing today. The design parameters as to what the voltage and frequency were bound by all changed. We've seen decades of experience that's shown that comercial frequency, comercial fed power does in fact work (it wasn't a cut and dry issue 50 years ago), and we've seen even in the US that it's very functional - witness MN, NJT, and Amtrak. Different set of rules, yes, but if those rules allow a cheaper and better system, which they appear to do now, than there's little reason to stay with 25hz.

25hz equipment's a specialty today. 25hz transformers are heavier, and weight is a critical factor in trains as speeds and cost pressures increase. In 1930, rail didn't have airlines to compete with, weight wasn't a factor, 25hz equipment was still quite common, costs weren't a big factor as long as it was less than steam.
  by Noel Weaver

All of Amtrak's present electric equipment will operate fine on any of the
three current systems. As for NJT, the locomotives will but the MU's have
to go to the shop to be changed over and can not change over from one
system to the other enroute. Septa is probably in the same boat so far as
their MU equipment is concerned and they run right through using their
own former PRR trackage, Amtrak former PRR trackage and former
Reading trackage. It might be a problem for SEPTA too.
Probably would work best if all of the territory south of New Rochelle to
and including Washington, DC and Harrisburg were changed over to 60
cycle, 12 KV systems. Signal systems might have to be changed over
before they could do the traction systems.
Noel Weaver

by Nasadowsk

Older Silverliners on Septa might be tied to 25hz (only because they were never designed to switch - it's just a firing logic issue on them), the SL IVs can switch between 25hz and 60hz on the fly. Some can switch between 12kv and 25kv on the fly, too.

12kv, 60hz, could allow them to retire all the old and worn out 25hz gear. As the catenary is upgraded, portions where it's feasable could be be upgraded to 25kv - NJT has done this recently on the Coast line. The cost of building the insulation for 25kv is nothing (they probbably are insulated for 100kv or so anyway, as a safety factor), but clearences are the big issue. Between, say, Newark and Philly - 25kv could be done, but then it'd likely have to go back to 12kv for most of the rest of the way (30th street, tunnels, etc - only because of clearences, there's no reason they couldn't be 25kv if the clearences were enough - all of NJT's Hoboken division is 25kv, even the terminal and tunnel to it)
  by PRRTechFan

Mr. Weaver, thanks for the info on MU use on different electrification systems. I thought I had recalled that there was at least one class of equipment that could not switch across different systems on the fly.

Mr. Nasadowsk, I am sorry if I gave the impression that I favored a rebuild of the NEC at 25Hz! I do not, as 60Hz is the only way to go for exactly all the reasons you state. Where I was heading was that I hope that they follow the original system topology and design philosophy. There was so much multiple redundancy built-in throughout the system; there were 4 separate 138kV circuits which I believe were set up so that alternate substations were fed from alternating 2 of 4 feeders. Each substation had 2 or 4 transformers, half connected to each of the 2 high voltage feeds brought into that substation. The transformers were tremendously oversized and fed each track through an individual circuit breaker. My understanding was that the system could continue to operate normally if half of the equipment was out of service! You could lose 2 high voltage feeders or half the transformers; and the lights wouldn't even blink, so to speak... I understand that there was so much excess transformer capacity that many transformers that have failed throughout the years were never replaced.

You just do not usually see that level of redundancy or over-capacity in anything built these days; it's just the bare minimum to meet today's needs. This is unfortunately due to the cost to do so. I just hope that if, excuse me; when they find the money to do it, that they find enough to build it "right" like they originally did.

I am also aware that signal equipment has been dual-frequency compatible for many years; the question is how old is most of the NEC signal equipment? Any areas that have been rebuilt, such as around Allied Junction or the Newark Airport Station; certainly are equipped with the newer equipment that is compatible with either system. But I have no idea as to the age or compatibility of the remainder of the signal equipment.

I will be happy to see any/all frequency converters retired! I know that electronics has taken over everywhere in the motor drive field; I have been involved in several such applications; but as Mr. Nasadowsk says, it is NOT 100%... "Electronics" in the power circuits of high voltage, very high power applications still scares me!

Deriving single-phase power from a three-phase supply is not a "conversion" in the same sense of a frequency conversion that requires very specialized equipment. Three phase to single phase is done with a transformer that is almost identical to any other transformers that step voltage up or down; it just has internal windings that are connected differently. If you need to transform 138kV 3 phase to 25kv 3 phase, you would use a transformer or transformer bank connected a particular way (delta, wye) to do so. If you need to transform 138kV 3 phase to 25kV single phase, you would use a transformer or transformer bank connected in what is known as a "Scott-T" arrangement to do so. Although not frequently done, the transformers are similar and do not represent any "special" technology. This is what I think they did on the New Haven-Boston system, because the utility feeds are definitely 3 phase, the traction single phase, and there is no frequency change or similar equipment involved.

I am also still curious as to how the single phase traction power was originally derived. Mr. Nasadowsk remembers that NH generated 3 phase; I would love to know if it was distributed to the tracks as 3 phase, and how. I seem to recall an article (which I cannot seem to locate) that said the PRR originally tried to use 3 phase at the traction level, but that they encountered too many problems as trains crossed from circuit to circuit on different phases. The same article made mention of generators that could be set to generate either single or three phase from the same unit; something that seems almost next to impossible. But it would not suprise me if the PRR had special one-of-a-kind generators built to their specifications at that time. We couldn't afford to even think about that cost today; nor is there any reason to do so.

Switch the entire PRR-era system to 60Hz and do it right!

by Ken W2KB

>>>Commercial power today is 3 phase, and although everyone talks about the system being a "grid" that ties everything tightly together, that really is not exactly the case. Some of those connections are not as "tight" as you would think; and as such, there are indeed fluctuations in voltage and frequency between utilities throughout the US.

Yes, but the entire US east of the Rockies is supposed to be in phase. I don't know exactly how tightly everything stays, and I suspect that it does bounce a bit, given how large a system it is. <<<<

The Eastern Interconnection, as you said, everything roughly east of the Rockies except ERCOT (most of Texas which is its own separate interconection) is operated to an extremely tight tolerance for frequency. Slight excursions are corrected immediately as any deviations more than slight are sensed by protective relays that will trip out generators (especially nuclear units) and transmission lines. (that's what happened in last year's cascading blackout) If it were not kept to tight tolerances, our clocks would always be too slow or fast. (every once in a while the electric system operators will run slightly fast or slow to correct everyone's clocks; the utility frequency standard is directly tied to the National Bureau of Standards Atomic Clock) My recollection without checking at work, is that the standard is plus or minus 0.02 Hz; i.e., between 59.98 Hz on the slow side, and 60.02 Hz on the fast side is the allowed range with it almost always being right at 60.00. Whenever adjoining control areas (the subdivisions of an interconnection that are always in balance between instantaneous generation and load) differ in frequency inadvertant interchage of power occurs and is soon corrected so one area does not '"lean" on another to maintain reliability.

LIkewise, voltages are held within fairly narrow tolerances, though not as tight as frequency. Voltages are of local concern (Volt-Amps-Reactive or VARs controlled and differences across any reasonable distance doesn't matter) There would be no significant issues from the utility standpoint whatsoever with the utility grid supplying Amtrak directly at 60Hz versus the present 25Hz conversion. The cost of the substation and signal equipment changes are probably significant enough to exceed Amtrak's too and very meager budget, I suspect.

by boyishcolt

so what is considered the overall best system with cost not being a factor?
is 60hz vers 25 hz a better system?
and is there advantage to 25hz or even 50 hz (as in Europe)? with cost not being a factor?

by EDM5970

60Hz is the standard frequency in the US, and can be used without any expensive frequency conversion equipment. 50Hz is the standard in Europe, and most of the rest of the world, IIRC. (I used to have a chart, when I was building equipment for export, but that was some time ago.)

Either 50 or 60 allows smaller motors and transformers, and a higher voltage allows for smaller wires, so for this country, 25kv, 60Hz, as was used between New Haven and Boston, would be the most logical choice-------given a blank sheet of paper.

25Hz is obsolete in the US, outside of the NEC and maybe some old isolated steel mill (or similar) installations that generate their own power. By the way, aircraft often had 400Hz power, with even smaller and more importantly lighter components, but I understand they are going to DC now. I was told they are seeing problems with the higher frequencies affecting airframes.
  by PRRTechFan

boyishcolt wrote:so what is considered the overall best system with cost not being a factor?
is 60hz vers 25hz a better system?
60Hz is better. The prime reason is that any electro-magnetic device operates more efficiently as the frequency rises. There are less losses, which means less heat, and less heat is longer life. Unfortunately, we cannot completely ignore the costs. A 25Hz transformer, motor or generator will cost more to manufacture than a device of the same capacity and efficiency at 60Hz. Because conversion losses in these devices increases as the frequency drops, more iron and copper is required in the internals of a 25Hz device to equal the performance of the 60Hz device. More iron and copper are direct costs; greater size and weight of the device itself are other indirect costs. If we do not "pay" to increase the efficiency, we "pay" for the increased energy to offset the losses.

Another cost is the economy of scale. Look at any product, especially electronics or semiconductors. The more they sell, the more efficiently they are produced; the less they cost. Because 60Hz is universally prevalent in the US, many manufacturers make all sorts of versions of transformers, motors and generators to operate on 60Hz. (The same would be true of 50Hz in Europe) Sure, they could manufacture 25Hz equipment; but there would be so little of it that the costs of design and tooling to manufacture could only be spread across a relatively few units, making them much more expensive to manufacture.

And lastly, 60Hz is available everywhere in the US. 25Hz is available just about only on the NEC...