Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by njtmnrrbuff

I plan to railfan in Tarrytown tommorow afternoon. In addition to the station area with a good view of the Tap looking south, are there like any public parks or areas walkable from the station. Like anywhere near the Old GM plant?

by hoharold

A public park that is practically ON the ROW is Kingsland Point Park. It is accessable from the area of Phillips Manor railroad station. I have not been there since the GM plant evaporated but with all the buildings gone there should be a good view of the tracks looking South and East. You can also visit the lighthouse there as well. There used to be a picnic pavillion overlooking the tracks just as you enter the park on the left. I used to watch NYC Tripower boxcab switch the GM yard... (in the 1940's!)

Let me know how you make out...

by Otto Vondrak

I take it you're new to the area? Tarrytown is ok, but consider taking a short ride to Scarborough. There is a park next to the station where you can sit and watch the trains come around the curve, and also get nice views of the river and the bridge.

http://railroad.net/photos/nycarea/media/ov-17.jpg

(don't wait around for CP, he wont arrive until after dark)

-otto-

by njtmnrrbuff

Yes, I've been to Scarborough. That is a very good location to photograph. I am at my second year at Mercy. I've only gotton off the train in Tarrytown only once. By the way, today, some television obstacles held me back from going to Tarrytown. I might just go by Ardsley later on.